Gloves for winter days????

kayo74
kayo74 Posts: 299
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
Hi,

Looking to buy some winter gloves but ones that are not to bulky any ideas on which to buy. Got around £30 budget.

Cheers.

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    If you look at some and think they'll be too hot for you, trust me they wont. I've made this mistake for 2 years in a row...and every time I have freezing hands! This year I won't be making that mistake :p
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Craft Siberian Gloves seem to have a good reputation. I can really suffer with cold fingers in the winter so good gloves are essential. Tried silk glove liners last winter under some Endura Strikes and they seemed to work a treat on really cold days, or I combined the liners with Specialized Equinox windproof gloves when above freezing.

Promised myslef I'd try the Siberian gloves this winter though, so thanks for reminding me to purchase some before everyone else dives in for their winter gloves! :lol:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    You want two layers, a merino or silk liner glove + a waterproof (or at least windproof) outer glove. Choice of outer glove comes down to fit and padding IMO, I'd tried a few (I have sealskinz technical, endura dexters, spesh sub-zero and some madison windproof ones in a pile by me...). Think the dexters are my favourite atm due to the padding but they're not perfect (some people don't rate them as on their own they aren't warm enough at times but that's where two layers comes in)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mittens will be warmer than gloves.
  • I wore two pairs last winter and that seemed to work. A thin layer pair & a thicker pair on top. cost £10 altogether. I wasn't out in the cold for hours on end though.
  • I wore two pairs last winter and that seemed to work. A thin layer pair & a thicker pair on top. cost £10 altogether. I wasn't out in the cold for hours on end though.
  • Two words - Lobster Mitts.

I bought some Craft lobster mitts on sale last year and can't wear them above 5 degrees because they're uncomfortably hot I didn't find a day last year that they couldn't handle. I have tried quite a few 5 finger gloves and they just can't match them.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    I swear by my hydrotech 3mm neoprene diving gloves from the local diving shop. very little bulk, very warm (if a little sweatty) and they look cool, and are sensitive on the handlebars.

spesh do some:

http://www.tredzblog.co.uk/2008/11/spec ... eview.html

and so do castelli:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-diluvi ... ng-gloves/

but yer local dive shop will be about a tenner cheaper for the same thing
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    My current pair have been worn for just over a season now and have very little padding left (insulation) they have been worn so much over the cold months. I agree with hindsight get the thickest and lobster like ones you can afford so they last a couple of seasons without needing to replace.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Gore windstopper are my choice, as they give protection against wind and ,I have found, cold as well as being thin enough to enable me to open gels without having to remove thick gloves. I hate stopping but am no where near good enough to 'no hand' to do that.

No problems last winter and it wasn't especially warm was it?
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    A silk inner layer is the way to go, with your choice of outer.

Thousands of WW2 aircrew can't be wrong. 8)

1967 Engine
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Hals1967 wrote:
    A silk inner layer is the way to go, with your choice of outer.

Thousands of WW2 aircrew can't be wrong. 8)

Thousands of WW2 aircrew didn't have any other option :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got these, in red:
    pro_ultimatewinter.jpg

Not sure if Pro make them anymore, but it seems that you can get them here:
    http://www.clcycles.co.uk/acatalog/PRO_Ultimate_Winter_Cycling_Gloves_Windproof.html
    They're a great fit, thin, warm, wind proof and flexible. Have a shop around, CRC had them at a great price not so long ago.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved