Spelling Lessons

Vesterberg
Vesterberg Posts: 330
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
FFS:

INDEPENDENT not INDEPENDANT

SENTENCE NOT SENTANCE

RIDICULOUS NOT REDICULOUS

Don't the little red wiggly lines give you a clue?

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Unfortunately IE is still the most popular browser and doesn't have red wiggly lines. And even if you do choose something like Chrome which does include spell checking, it's US English spellings, not UK. :(
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Gizmodo wrote:
    And even if you do choose something like Chrome which does include spell checking, it's US English spellings, not UK. :(
    Options > Under hood > Web content > Language and spell checker settings
    Rich
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or get the add-on for FF which has British spelling.

also consider this is not a UK exclusive forum. ;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The text generation has no idea how to spell. Can't blame this on Wiggle!
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well you could. but then watching the ´76 TOTP and Disco duck words fail me.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    it's US spellings, not English.

Fixed that for you.
    "Coming through..."
  • Does it matter?
  • garrynolan wrote:
    The text generation has no idea how to spell. Can't blame this on Wiggle!

Blame Wgl then! :wink:
  • Roobsa
    Roobsa Posts: 37
    Definitely not definately, defenetly or the worst misspelling of the them all, defiently.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    [txtspk] wut r u ppl on abt? i men rly? i dnt gt wut ur tlkn abt. sum comon sens iz n orda[/txtspk]

That was painful to type :oops:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    ooermissus wrote:
    Does it matter?

Yes.
  • johnfinch wrote:
    ooermissus wrote:
    Does it matter?

Yes.

But why? In English, standardized spelling is only a couple of hundred years old - and we've never really been that fussed about policing the language aggressively, unlike the French. Maybe we're coming to the end of the era in which bad spelling is seen as such a big deal.
  • Ova fings is far worserer dan any ov dis.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    edited October 2011
    ooermissus wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    ooermissus wrote:
    Does it matter?

Yes.

But why? In English, standardized spelling is only a couple of hundred years old - and we've never really been that fussed about policing the language aggressively, unlike the French. Maybe we're coming to the end of the era in which bad spelling is seen as such a big deal.

Unlike 200 years ago, the written word is now an extremely important form of communication. If we let spelling standards slip then eventually we'll end up being unable to understand what other people are writing.

That said, English spelling is a pig, due to it not being phonetic.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My manager at work sends me text messages spelling "could" as "cud" and "that" as "dat"! Makes my blood boil.

My spelling is pretty rubbish to tell the truth, so I don't normally get stroppy about it but if your at work communicating with colleagues, that is one of the times it is very important.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    it's a reasonable indicator of intelligence

that's my advise :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:

Here, here :)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • maddog 2 wrote:

Two perfect.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    ooermissus wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    ooermissus wrote:
    Does it matter?

Yes.

When you are talking about the difference between indepedent and indepedant you might be able to argue your case but one of the more common mistakes I see now is people spelling lose as loose which I do think is important as it's another word entirely. It almost reminds me of the gimps they interviewed during the recent riots...forget spelling, most of them couldn't even speak English properly let alone spell basic words.
  • one of the more common mistakes I see now is people spelling lose as loose which I do think is important as it's another word entirely.

Yes. I agree that you really have to draw the line if you get to the point where two words are spelled the same way but pronounced differently.

Before you know it, I'd be able to lead you to the lead mine, where I'd give you a nice bass for dinner while playing a soothing song on my double bass. Then I'd desert you in the desert without dessert.

Which is what happens when good spelling is neglected. 8)
  • Owed to a spell chequer

Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.
    As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew

It always worries me in work when people send stuff out without checking the spelling or grammar. If they can't be bothered avoiding looking like a fool in front of their colleagues then what else can't they be bothered doing; maybe safety related.

If someone in work tells you that spelling or grammar doesn't matter, then try this;

sendallyourcorrespondencetotheminscriptacontinuanopunctuationnocapitalsnospacesetcetteraasthatgenerallygetsthemessageaccross
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    RichardSwt wrote:
    My manager at work sends me text messages spelling "could" as "cud" and "that" as "dat"! Makes my blood boil.

My spelling is pretty rubbish to tell the truth, so I don't normally get stroppy about it but if your at work communicating with colleagues, that is one of the times it is very important.

It's 'you're', but I appreciate you're not at work :lol:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Rather than solve all the words commonly misspelt, can we not just concentrate on the basics like brake and pedal?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    dodgy wrote:
    RichardSwt wrote:

It's 'you're', but I appreciate you're not at work :lol:

Nicely done Sir!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver