My Chinese Carbon

EightOhEight
EightOhEight Posts: 170
edited March 2012 in Your road bikes
DSC_0303.jpg

My first road bike

This carbon frame/fork/seatpost deal
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Carbon-Road-Bike-58-Frame-Fork-Seatpost-Headset-/250883516191?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3a69d2a71f
£275 inc. postage. Ordered on Sat eve arrived following Fri.
Sram Rival groupset
Planet X Model B wheels
Ritchey WCS 4Axis Stem / 110 mm
Ritchey WCS Logic 2 Handlebar / 42 cm
Saddle Romin Pro 143mm
Seat Clamp Token Superlite
Continental Gp4000 Red/Black
Michelin Aircomp Road Long Valve
SRAM Supercork Bar Tape / Hoods

Pedals are currently the Shimano M324 Clipless SPD/Flats from my leisure/hybrid bike which I'll be using until I feel comfortable enough on this setup to upgrade to something more appropriate...

Total cost including LBS build is £1160. Picked it up on the way home from work today and went round the block a few times. Really looking forward to getting up Dawn's crack and giving it a good workout.

Comments

• Cracking looking bike you got there EightOhEight!

I've got one of those frames, alas without the tasty "fat" weave you have. Your spec list is really good. Bomb-proof Rival, Ritchey cockpit and Planet X wheels (the best sub-£200 hoops IMO).

Once you've got your positioning sorted, it'd be good to know what you think of the ride etc.

Enjoy your new addition to the family!
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I appreciate it's your first road bike so you may still be getting to grips with fit/position but you have a massive amount of 'spacerage' under that stem. If it is necessary, as a matter of comfort, to have the bars at that height then structurally you're better off flipping the stem and having fewer spacers underneath. It would make for a far stiffer set-up.
  • Out of interest did you have to pay import duty? If so how much was it?
    FCN 5

Felt F75 Ultegra
    Giant OCR 1
    Genesis Core 40
    Commencal Meta 6 2009
  • Yes I'm getting to grips with fit/position before fine tuning setup.

No Import duty.

Cheers

• Yes I'm getting to grips with fit/position before fine tuning setup.

No Import duty.

Cheers

Sssshhhhh!
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Nice looking machine, but... How is it standing up on it's own?!
  • Apologies, *its own...
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    ^^ Can't you see those steel tension cables that are attached to the seattube and rear rim :wink:
  • Did you have this built up in the triathlon shop?
  • Yes. Great service, would thoroughly reccomend them.
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    superb im scanning all the Chinese builds as im toying with getting one

how much would you think you saved on the frame ??

and how's it going a few months on ?
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Ricey155 wrote:
    superb im scanning all the Chinese builds as im toying with getting one

how much would you think you saved on the frame ??

and how's it going a few months on ?

Most of these frames cost between £3-400. Ribble are doing £50 off their frames at the moment which makes theirs pretty attractive too. The Planet x RT-57 sram force deal is superb value also.

Unless you get your hands on some second hand parts at a good price then building up a Chinese frame will work out as expensive if not more than the Ribble / Planet X complete bikes.
  • "Getting up Dawns crack and giving it a good work out" dirty boy lol!
  • Nice looking bike 8)

and I can pretty much see where you took that picture,from my window!
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    yes ive been looking at Planet X RT57 for a few days saves the hassle building one searching for parts etc

cheers for the reply and info :D

and how's it going a few months on ?[/quote]

Most of these frames cost between £3-400. Ribble are doing £50 off their frames at the moment which makes theirs pretty attractive too. The Planet x RT-57 sram force deal is superb value also.

Unless you get your hands on some second hand parts at a good price then building up a Chinese frame will work out as expensive if not more than the Ribble / Planet X complete bikes.[/quote]
  • mac245
    mac245 Posts: 48
    Stunning looking bike. Fancy getting a frame and trying a build myself. The new frame set from the far east look awesome for the money.