Saddle advice please?.

kayo74
kayo74 Posts: 299
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
After a new saddle and have a budget of £50 to £60 pounds any ideas on good all rounder?

Many thanks

Comments

• I bought a most saddle a couple of months ago - fifty quid - had no problems with it
  • Charge Spoon/
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    kayo74 wrote:
    After a new saddle and have a budget of £50 to £60 pounds any ideas on good all rounder?

Many thanks

What do you use at the minute ? and why do you want to change?
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    I am using a bontrager r at the moment came standard with the bike just a bit hard when on 40 plus miles and need more position movement!!.
  • kayo74 wrote:
    I am using a bontrager r at the moment came standard with the bike just a bit hard when on 40 plus miles and need more position movement!!.

Contrary to popular opinion, Soft usual equals less comfort on longer rides.
  • +1 for the charge spoon. i had a horrible time with the bontrager saddle that came as stock on my trek. i tried to convince myself that i needed to man up and stick with it until it got better. 6 weeks later and about 1,000 miles it was still killing me.

after reading lots of opinions on here i opted for the charge spoon, what a great investment. as soon as i got on on it i knew i had made the right choice. i have never had a problem since. i can do 60miles+ without any problems and the fact it cost less than £25 makes it a no-brainer.
    Hills hurt but sofas kill.
  • Specialized Romin Comp £60.

I bought mine on the strength of the raft of positive reviews online.It is available in three sizes(why isn't this more common?) black or white.FWIW I like mine.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    fizik antares - manganese rails less than £60 new on ebay.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Spesh Toupe - light and firm but with "give" with your peddling action - not aware of it - you can't ask more of a saddle.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cruiser33
    cruiser33 Posts: 464
    I agree with `meanredspider`; the Specialized Toupe is a very comfortable saddle, i got mine `as new` on Ebay for £45. Also as `LeicesterLad` says, soft/gel type saddles don`t necessarily mean comfort; I had to take my Gel saddle off, as after about 20 miles I was in agony!
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    kayo74 wrote:

Contrary to popular opinion, Soft usual equals less comfort on longer rides.

I agree with this. I also don't like cycle padding. Have you tried tilting your saddle ever so slightly?
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • holker
    holker Posts: 88
    Not wanting to offend anyone but can't help thinking that OP question is silly and all answers silly. The reason I say this is that whether a saddle is "any good" is completey and utterly an individual thing. So just coz 9 out of 10 cats recommend a particular saddle doesn't mean it will suit you. Moreover just coz a saddle is more expensive or has good reviews doesn't mean it will suit you. Also you'll have no idea untill you try whether any individual sadle suits you. My advise would be to find a friendly lbs that's got a stock of loan saddles that you can try before buying.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    holker wrote:
    Not wanting to offend anyone but can't help thinking that OP question is silly and all answers silly. The reason I say this is that whether a saddle is "any good" is completey and utterly an individual thing. So just coz 9 out of 10 cats recommend a particular saddle doesn't mean it will suit you. Moreover just coz a saddle is more expensive or has good reviews doesn't mean it will suit you. Also you'll have no idea untill you try whether any individual sadle suits you. My advise would be to find a friendly lbs that's got a stock of loan saddles that you can try before buying.

+1

Absolutely.