Citrus Degreaser

Mr Plum
Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
edited October 2011 in The workshop

Comments

• Virosol isn't expensive enough to work.
  • Mr Plum
  • Buy it and report back .
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • Mr Plum
    I will when I run out of my current stuff.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    Virosol stuff is great but is very strong. It will take the anodising of a hope BB if you leave it in there too long. It's great for cleaning chains etc....
  • Mayhemwmb
    Mayhemwmb Posts: 108
    I use Virosol, put neat into a spray gun, wet my bike with a hose, spray a little Virosol onto dirty bike, agitate the cleaner with a paint brush and then rinse off with the hose - the bike is gleaming - my winter commuting hack never got cleaned - used Virosol and it came up like a new bike - highly recommend it :D
  • Mayhemwmb
    Mayhemwmb Posts: 108
    tofu21 wrote:
    Virosol stuff is great but is very strong. It will take the anodising of a hope BB if you leave it in there too long. It's great for cleaning chains etc....

Agree with this but I don't leave it on long
  • Buy it and report back .
    It would be interesting to know the relative effectiveness of these citrus degreasers.

Many moons ago I used to use finish Line as it provided a pleasant fragrance to cleaning. Nowadays I use Jizer but citrus degreasers used to be just as effective and should be interested to know if these commercial cleaning products are effective or are diluted to be fit for purpose.
  • nicknick
    nicknick Posts: 535
    I've been using citrus degreaser form B&Q until recently as they seem to have stopped stocking it. I'll be buying some more like the link above. It works just as well as bike specific stuff including Park chain degreaser. Doesn't work so well watered down s it goes milky! But it's so cheap there's no need to!
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    I use a degreaser (swarfega branded) for cleaning really greasy parts, for the rest of the bike I use car shampoo from the pound shop and a brush and sponge, gets the crap off and leaves it a bit waxy / shiny.