Am I mad?

Lowride
Lowride Posts: 214
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
I did the London to Brighton this year after about 15 years off and one of the most enjoyable bits was riding to the start line with loads of other cyclists coming from every direction and thru the streets of London..

The thought of riding thru the capital in the morning rush hour with loads of other cyclists really appeals to me. I`d love to do it as just a one off..

What do you think? I think ppl will say I`m crazy and that I have a death wish

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Crazy? For riding in London? Loads of people do it. If you want to do it then do it!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    When there's a big group of cyclists, it's a lot more fun, as you get that sense of dominating the road. On any other day, well, it's just a commute, and a pretty frustrating one at that.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Nothing wrong with cycling in London. I did it having not cycled since I was a teenager. You just have to be aware and expect the worst from drivers.

It's good fun, far nicer than cycling along a boring straight road.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Joelsim wrote:
    Nothing wrong with cycling in London. I did it having not cycled since I was a teenager. You just have to be aware and expect the worst from drivers.

It's good fun, far nicer than cycling along a boring straight road.

Riding in London is awful. OK it's better than a boring straight road but that's a bit like saying a Big Mac is far nicer than eating woodchip, isn't it?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Got to be honest, I'd much rather a nice quiet road with the odd car than bumper to bumper for 16 miles. :lol:
    Lowride wrote:
    Am I mad?

Yes. :)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I love riding in London each morning, brings a smile to my face.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I love it too
  • Do it. Try to do it in peak hours as there are many more cyclists on the road. I particularly like the peloton at CS8 as it sets off from the traffic lights with everyone jostling for position.

I put off riding in the capital for the 10 years that I lived there as I was too scared, and now as I commuter I cycle everyday and am loving it!