Carbon Bike Hit a Deer. Would you buy it?

smckean
smckean Posts: 3
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
I've looked at a 6-month old Kuota Kharma with full Durace that I can get for $2000. Only problem is that the owner crashed into a deer on it. It is being sold at a shop and they tell me thay have full confidence in the frame. There are a few small nicks in the paint that, I am told, were not the result of the crash. Frame has no "skid" marks so I don't think she slid along the road at all. Should I be concerned? There is good value in the components alone at that price...........

OR I have the lovely opportunity to buy a brand new Felt at dealer cost.

What to do????????

Comments

• furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Yes, I would buy it. You can't beat a bit of venison.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Furrag wrote:
    Yes, I would buy it. You can't beat a bit of venison.

Rotter - beaten to the punchline! :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    when i read the title, i thought, mmm venison

but turns out to be asking about the bike, oh well

tbh i'd be wary, without the frame being given a detailed examination with ultrasound/whatever i can't see how you'd know if there's been delamination or cracking that's not showing external signs

edit - i see we all thought the same!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • $2000? sounds a bit deer to me.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,227
    Are you sure when you say "hit by a deer" you mean "banged really hard when stealing it", and you're just looking for the best price for your stolen good?

Or am I being totally outrageous?
  • As long as the shop give the warranty and you can claim off their liability insurance should it kill you, then go for it.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Buy it. I've hit eventhing from animals to trees on my road bike, and it doesn't matter.
  • Wouldn't touch a carbon frame that had been in a crahs even if it was a tasty meat treat it hit - if it has microtrauma fractures etc you will never see them but you will know it for sure if thye propagate and fail - err on the side of caution
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I would inquire further.

Is the bike being sold BECAUSE it was crashed into a deer recently, or has the previous owner when selling it to the bike shop just happened to volunteer the information that he once crashed it into a deer? If the former, why was that a reason for wanting to get rid of it, was there anything detectably wrong with the bike at the time (presumably subsequently fixed) or was the owner just being ultra-cautious?

Assuming the crash was head on the thing to be worried about would be the fork or steerer tube, but if the bike shop can assure you they have thoroughly inspected this and they know what they are doing....

A compromise would be to buy it and replace the fork (would probably cost about £200).
  • Carbon Bike Hit a Deer. Would you buy it?

The bike or the deer?
  • Wouldn't touch a carbon frame that had been in a crahs even if it was a tasty meat treat it hit - if it has microtrauma fractures etc you will never see them but you will know it for sure if thye propagate and fail - err on the side of caution

Then there'd be no chance for me to ever own a carbon bike, I've crashed everything I've ever owned.
    --
    FCN 9
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd buy the felt if its dealer price - thats roughly half the price they sell them for.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd buy the felt if its dealer price - thats roughly half the price they sell them for.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    That almost £1300 for the Kharma - you can get a new one for £1500 admittley not dura ace - personally I wouldn't take the risk. I would buy a new kharma for £1500 - yeah sure dura ace is nice - but if that frame fails your gonna be left with a hefty bill.
  • If its from a shop, and they assure you that the frame is not been damaged in any way, I cant see the issue.[/i]