Climbing Technique

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
When I'm climbing out of the saddle I'm aware that I move side-to-side a fair bit, which can't be good for efficiency. Any tips on the best technique? Thanks.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Having watched Teirnan-Locke waft his way effortlessly up the Old Bristol Hill to take KoM on stage 6 of the ToB, I wouldn't worry about a bit of graceful honking when required. Now, the chap in the green wig and mankini certainly needed some kind of help though :)
  • As far as I'm aware, I always thought a bit of side to side is helpful as you put more of your body weight onto the pedal you're trying to push down.

I've not based that on any solid fact, I read somewhere that swinging about 6 inches either way was fine but can't remember where, also I've noticed that I rock side to side when I'm simulating a hill in the gym and it seems to help.

Plus it looks more epic.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Side-to-side looks cool.

I do it for this reason. It adds nothing to my performance though!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Secteur wrote:
    Side-to-side looks cool.

I do it for this reason. It adds nothing to my performance though!

So I'm not efficient, but I'm cool. :) Cool. 8)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • looking cool is the most important! :P
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Once you over come the q factor your wasting energy ...

Excessive side-to-side swinging of the bike when you’re out of the saddle is a waste of energy, and it disrupts efficient pedalling. You only need to counter the leverage created by your bike’s Q-factor – the distance between your pedals. Stay smooth and focus on getting all your energy into the back wheel.

Instead of muscling the bike around, think about providing just enough resistance through the bar to counter the pedalling leverage so that the bike stays nearly upright

from ..

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... tle-27049/

I try to ride a fairly light gear and still keep a cadence of around 60 rpm when climbing out of the saddle, mind you at the weekend i ride a bike with the sram apex groupset so i have plenty of gears to spin with while the rest are hacking .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Having watched Teirnan-Locke waft his way effortlessly up the Old Bristol Hill to take KoM on stage 6 of the ToB, I wouldn't worry about a bit of graceful honking when required. Now, the chap in the green wig and mankini certainly needed some kind of help though :)

Agreed that kid could fly up those hills, maybe one to watch.
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    Are you just rocking the bike from side to side or actually turning the wheel and zigzagging across the road? I notice when some people stand up they give themselves extra miles.