Some days it just seems a struggle

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Took advantage of working from home on this nice day to go out for a ride this morning.

Felt fine the first 5 miles (in hindsite probably due to a tailwind), stopped to munch a slice of Soreen before I ran out of energy and set off again. After then, for the rest of the ride I felt like I was riding through treacle. I just couldn't seem to pedal.

And then I made the mistake of taking the main road back into town so had the wind in my face. It was only a few miles but it felt so much longer.

I always feel a bit like I'm struggling when out, especially on any upward incline or into the wind. But I usually have periods where I feel good as well. Today just seemed to be a struggle from start to finish :(

Comments

• Ate too late perhaps so had the double bonk effect. No energy to begin with but also most available was going to the stomach to digest the soreen...

It'll be more fun next time - you know it.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Some days it's just hard work for no real reason.

At least you know the next ride will probably be better!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    You need bigger wheels :wink:
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    days like that it's just nice to be outside

could be worse you could be stuck in the windowless room they banish me to in work.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Ate too late perhaps so had the double bonk effect. No energy to begin with but also most available was going to the stomach to digest the soreen...

So you had a multiple bonk
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Rich158 wrote:
    Ate too late perhaps so had the double bonk effect. No energy to begin with but also most available was going to the stomach to digest the soreen...

Pics or it didn't happen.
    Wait, what are we talking about here?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Rich158 wrote:

I didn't know malt loaf had that effect on women.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    bails87 wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

But Nutella on it and you'll snare LiT
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bails87 wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

we need more scientific data, to the bat cave!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Getting a cold I'll bet
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Unless you were hungry when you set off, I can't see why you need to eat after 5 miles. Your body should carry enough energy in your muscles for 1.5-2 hours of cycling, assuming you've not done anything to knacker yourself out already.

As Bails87 said though, some days its just hard going.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Not enough butter on the soreen. You need enough butter to make a cardiologist weep. More butter!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    merkin wrote:
    Not enough butter on the soreen. You need enough butter to make a cardiologist weep. More butter!

Suzyb comes from South Lanarkshire so that is a given.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Unless you were hungry when you set off, I can't see why you need to eat after 5 miles. Your body should carry enough energy in your muscles for 1.5-2 hours of cycling, assuming you've not done anything to knacker yourself out already.

As Bails87 said though, some days its just hard going.
    I was trying to make sure I didn't run out of energy. Maybe went a bit overboard though as I had 4 slice of toast before I left as well.

I didn't have any butter on the Soreen btw. I couldn't be bothered waiting for the butter to soften after just being taken out the fridge. Perhaps that was my downfall.