Road or MTB chain?

SLX01
SLX01 Posts: 338
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm running a 2x10 shimano XTR chainset with a 10sp road cassette should I use MTB or Road chain??

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Makes no difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • SLX01
    Thanks, I only ask because I read somewhere that Dyna-sys MTB stuff is not compatible with 10sp road but I guess thats only the cassette.
  • cooldad
    Road shifters, mechs are not compatible, but chains are the same.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not quite true Cooldad, there are road and MTB 10 speed chains. They are cross compatible, but the plates are profiled differently such that they are optimised to shift differently (IIRC MTB shifts better under load and on the front, at the expense of some slight smoothness).

I'd be inclined to get the MTB chain, you may find more chainsuck issues with the road chain.

Begs the question though, why run those combos? Why not go 1x10 with an 11-36 cassette?
  • cooldad
    OK compatible if not the same.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    njee20 wrote:
    Not quite true Cooldad, there are road and MTB 10 speed chains. They are cross compatible, but the plates are profiled differently such that they are optimised to shift differently (IIRC MTB shifts better under load and on the front, at the expense of some slight smoothness).

Where did you get this info? :? :?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the tech specs.

MTB shimano chains are directional. as are some 9spd MTB chains which will only work one way round.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,384
    ^This is specific to Shimano 10spd I think - All the other makes/ speeds have the same chains for road and MTB ('cept Campag probably, but you would nt put that on n MTB i assume)

KMC still have reusable 10spd links so tend to be reccomended a lot....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cooldad
    After some failed experiments I'm back to KMC. But I'm still on old fashioned 9 speed stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,384
    Ignore me - follow the Nicklouse!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • SLX01
    njee20 wrote:
    Begs the question though, why run those combos? Why not go 1x10 with an 11-36 cassette?

Because I don't intend going up many steep hills and I thought 11-36 would have big jumps between gears so I have an 11-28 due to having a spare 11-28 cassette. If its not enough gears I'll get an XTR cassette once the bike is up and running.
  • njee20
    FWIW I use a KMC X10SL on XTR cassette and rings (although now running 1x10) having previously used Shimano and have noticed no difference. Got a DA 7900 chain on my road bike, having previously used SRAM, and again haven't really noticed any difference.

Would still get the MTB one if you go Shimano though.

Have you tried it yet? Road cassettes are 1mm narrower on the freehub body, although I don't know if the sprockets are offset to balance that. May not shift quite as well as an MTB cassette anyway.
  • SLX01
    njee20 wrote:
    Have you tried it yet? Road cassettes are 1mm narrower on the freehub body, although I don't know if the sprockets are offset to balance that. May not shift quite as well as an MTB cassette anyway.

I swapped the MTB cassette on my Cannondale bad boy for a shimano 105 with no problem so it should be ok hopefully.
  • SLX01 wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

I swapped the MTB cassette on my Cannondale bad boy for a shimano 105 with no problem so it should be ok hopefully.

Doubt that as I'm running an 11-36 mtb cassette on my 1*10 road bike with no issues at all.

Also, the 11-36 doesn't seem to have massive jumps to me and 1*10 for a commuting road bike is just awesome!
  • njee20
    But presumably R_W you're using an MTB mech? I wondered if you would have slight issues with a road cassette and MTB mech.