getting new MTB - confused

aster0pe
aster0pe Posts: 8
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I will be moving house shortly and I am planning on buying MTB. It will be mostly for commuting to work and pretty much everywhere else around. I am sure it will be MTB. Not sure which one to get.

I thought it would be good if I spend something under 300£ on it. But then reading this forum I have doubts :) I am a girl but I will be able to handle maintaining it or do minor tweaks/fixes. But I don't want to be worried every time I leave my bike outside of the shop or something that it will be stolen :) so I don't really want to spend a fortune on it, I just don't see the point. Maybe you will manage to change my mind :)

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Comments

• Paulscycles.co.uk will do good deals on older models, they have some decent GT's going for around that mark at the moment.

I assume you lock your bike up outside? If your only going in for a browse and a quick purchase then it shouldn't be much of a problem, as long as you don't use a pound shop lock obviously!
    Very funny Scotty, now beam me down my clothes.
  • I actually had a brilliant idea ;) of insuring it... than maybe I wouldn't be so worried on spending a little more on a bike.. just thinking out laud.
    oh no, I will get a good locker... when I am at home it will be locked inside. when I go to work, gym, shop it will be locked outside

thank you
  • Thank you for this link!!!

GT AVALANCHE 3.0 DISC
    GT AVALANCHE GTW 3.0 DISC HYDRO (WOMENS)

I think I will try these. not sure if I want to go to 2.0 models ... they are not much different to me :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The lad uses a cheap and nasty Townsend (ebay, £5.50) to get into town, he keeps his nice MTB (Spesh P1) for when he knows the bike will be secure. If your leaving a £300 bike exposed in town you need to budget at least £75 for security (good quality D-lock, £40, cheap D-lock to stop them twisting it £20 and a cable to keep the wheels on it for longer than 5 mins, about £15)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Check your home contents insurance - bikes are normally covered in or out of the house (as long as they're secured obviously)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • thank you all for help.

GT AVALANCHE 3.0 DISC
    GT AVALANCHE GTW 3.0 DISC HYDRO (WOMENS)

these models from 2010 are under 350 quid. Is there anything else in that price range I should consider?

Thanks
  • Scott Contessa? Not sure of the spec but it's in the price range
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stick a link up and people might look at the specs. Buggered if I am going to google them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Stick a link up and people might look at the specs. Buggered if I am going to google them.

lazy g1t, I'm in work. I can only afford enough time to read the whole thread and respond to it.
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • OK. I think I am choosing between:

GT Avalanche 2.0 Hydro 2011 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-avalanche-20 ... 5360063875
    and
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2011 Mountain Bike http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec024137

:) which one would you suggest?
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Cannot fault a GT Avalanche tbh :wink:
  • good price on wiggle too... so I know I will get a bike this week... GT is at the top now.