Anyone got an Mazda MX-5

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
anyone got on here?

i've just received an genuine Mazda air filter element in a service kit for my mrs car. Her car has got a K&N so the filter isnt required

if anyone wants it give me a shout if not i will sling it

it for 1.8 mk2

thank you please
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Any hairdressers out there?

:shock:
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    your missing the important question

Will a road bike fit in the boot with it's wheels off?
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    You can if it's carbon and you look at it hard enough to make it turn to dust
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    let me know if you want me to post on the Lotus forum - quite a few MX owners on there.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thanks for the offer but I think the postage will cost as much as the filter.

No you can't fit the frame in the boot - but it does strap onto a boot rack nicely and this apparently works:

IMG_1124.jpg
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    Helllooooo dahlings!

I have an MX5, but pretend it's my wife's as he doesn't mind and it's FAAAABULOUS

Now the LOVELY man at the garage (so butch and lubed with all that smashing oil) has left this filter thing with the car as he says I have a K&N. Now I don't know HOW he knows about that, as I swear I keep the noise down when the wife and me are changing the batteries, but I DO have one spare.

So if any of you WONDERFUL people want this lovely fluffy little DAHLING, so please drop me a squiggle and I'll let you know where to insert it

MX5 owners... permanently in denial....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    tiny_pens wrote:
    Thanks for the offer but I think the postage will cost as much as the filter.

No you can't fit the frame in the boot - but it does strap onto a boot rack nicely and this apparently works:

IMG_1124.jpg

if you want it i can send it free from work, saves throwing it away!
  • mudcow007

Mr Burns, i do believe i love you

but if you ever fancy a race in your oil burner, give me a shout :wink:
  • mudcow007 wrote:

Mr Burns, i do believe i love you

but if you ever fancy a race in your oil burner, give me a shout :wink:

chipped 3.0TDi (plus Miltek... shexy) you sure? :wink:

(if nothing else you'll die of soot inhalation... these chipped buggers don't half throw a cloud out the first time you boot 'em)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited September 2011
    What's Miltek?

But mudcow, to win any argument with KB you just have to use:
    galapagos_fur_seal_1.jpg
    Arf arf arf arf
    :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007

chipped 3.0TDi (plus Miltek... shexy) you sure? :wink:

(if nothing else you'll die of soot inhalation... these chipped buggers don't half throw a cloud out the first time you boot 'em)

most of my mates drive fast VAG's one has a S3 with about 280BHP the rest of em have RS4's

i can still embarrass them going around corners though

our MX5 sorry i mean my mrs MX5 is the sportier version (SVT) with lsd an strut braces and vvt which makes it a bit more pokey

those crazy yanks have a supercharger kit to take it to nearly 300 BHP muhahahah (evil laugh)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Miltek is part of Falcon Exhausts that used to make stainless exhausts for old cars. They re making too much money selling over-priced exhausts to boy racers so they're not interested in making zorsts for old cars any more.
    We sell the supercharger kit for MX5s. Hilarious with one of those fitted.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Miltek is part of Falcon Exhausts that used to make stainless exhausts for old cars. They re making too much money selling over-priced exhausts to boy racers so they're not interested in making zorsts for old cars any more.

http://youtu.be/_EiWkkJZY0Y

mmmmm.... 8)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    tiny_pens wrote:
    Thanks for the offer but I think the postage will cost as much as the filter.

IMG_1124.jpg

I had to do something like that with a christmas tree when I had an MR2 roadster
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • mudcow007
    Veronese68 wrote:

whats the kit you guys do?

ive seen both T34 (turbos) an a charger' kit similar to a Mini Cooper

mucho speedo!
  • mudcow007

pffft i laugh in the face of your tin zorst'

Clicky
  • veronese68
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

whats the kit you guys do?

ive seen both T34 (turbos) an a charger' kit similar to a Mini Cooper

mucho speedo!

Eaton type blowers. Jackson Racing is a division of our parent company in the US. Take a look at this link to our website
    http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Browse/PlateMenuProducts.aspx?WebCatalogID=42&PlateTypeID=1&SubcomponentID=548
    I don't know a huge amount about MX5s I mainly deal with classic car stuff and do wholesale.
    I did manage to leave a Ferrari 355 for dead in a blown MX5 around Castle Combe. Size of cajones may help.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    dont forget to clean and oil the k&n

if its an induction

foam "sport 1's" soapy water

as per manufacturer blab
  • mudcow007
    estampida wrote:
    dont forget to clean and oil the k&n

if its an induction

foam "sport 1's" soapy water

as per manufacturer blab

its a typhoon on ours, so its the flusher stuff an can of red oil (that gets everywhere)

surprising how loud it is on acceleration.... 8)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'll put my hand up to owning an MX5. Mk1 that has been mildly tuned with a turbo and is now pushing out ~220bhp. Upgraded brakes, suspension, LSD, 1/2 cage, bucket seats and belts plus a few other bits and pieces. Its a great track car but unfortunately it doesn't get used enough and will probably get sold in the spring.

Much more fun than that VAG FWD nonsense. Or any Audi quatro stuff (apart from the RS4).
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • veronese68
    Work had a supercharged Mk1 for a long time. With decent springs and shocks they are great fun.
  • mudcow007
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Work had a supercharged Mk1 for a long time. With decent springs and shocks they are great fun.

the mk1's are pretty bullet proof an can be picked up for under £1000 easy

an most of them are jap imports with a much higher spec than UK cars

i think they even did a turbo version (but only for the jap markets)
  • veronese68
    The Americans managed to blow up a few Mk2 engines, but never a Mk1. Something to do with coolant flow to number 4 cylinder. I managed to seperate the piston crown from the skirt on a Mk2. Still ran, but sounded a bit tappetty. Whoops.
    We also had a supercharged MGB, that was just terrifying. Didn't handle and awful brakes. But would do 125mph before you had to back off as it would over rev.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    I'll put my hand up to owning an MX5. Mk1 that has been mildly tuned with a turbo and is now pushing out ~220bhp. Upgraded brakes, suspension, LSD, 1/2 cage, bucket seats and belts plus a few other bits and pieces. Its a great track car but unfortunately it doesn't get used enough and will probably get sold in the spring.

Much more fun than that VAG FWD nonsense. Or any Audi quatro stuff (apart from the RS4).
    Nice...and good fun, a mate of mine had one similar. I had a 1340cc fully race-prepped Mini Clubman as my daily runabout and weekend track car...

Now I have a chipped & blueprinted Mk1 Audi TT with Blueflame exhaust, K&N, uprated ARB and coilovers, uprated Haldex - about 320BHP on the rollers (was a good engine to start, measured at 245bhp on the standard '225' when others on the day were getting 210 - 225 on the same rollers).

Having driven the MX5 I'd say they were about even on the track for handling (Castle Coomb and Donnington), but I prefer mine :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    I've had two in my day, both while living with a hairdresser I might add so I'm exempt from any prejudgment :)

First one was a mk.1 1992 J reg, 1.8, Black, Tan leather and wooden steering wheel. :lol:.

We then upgraded to a brand new mk.2 1999 1.8s, Racing Bronze, Spec'd coloured Leather (black and bronze), sports chrome pack, etc etc. £20,000+

I then spent a few grand on importing a Postert skirting/spoiler kit and 17" mirrored alloys :

Mazda-MX5.jpg

Then come the ECU and KN Filter upgrade pushing the BHP up to around 240 I think......it was a long time ago....and then the car was not mine after 2001....although it did have a rather nice dent in the passenger door and smashed windscreen the last time I saw it....but that's another story. ;)

Would love another one to be honest.