Rider Down Richmond Park

kevess
kevess Posts: 186
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Nasty spill at the bottom of Broomfield descent on the way to Robin Hood roundabout. I arrived at 8.35 and the chap was already in the ambulance being tended.

According to a couple of roadies who winessed the down as they came in the opposite direction there was no one else involved. The rider was travelling at about 30+ mph, stretched out on tribars when it seemed his front wheel locked and he went straight over the handlebars onto his face. He was conscious with pretty grim damage to his face, didn't know what day it was and couldn't even tell them his name.

Best wishes sir, I truly hope all is well.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Ouch.

I'm surprised there weren't more today. Thick fog in places bought visibility down to touching distance in places and still there were loads of cars and cyclists with no lights on.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Ow, sounds very painful. Carbon wheels/pads fusing maybe? Hopefully a swift recovery
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Ow - makes me wince reading about accidents like that. Broomfield Hill on tri-bars? Really?! wouldn't be for me...

Anyway, important thing is I hope the guy makes a full recovery.
  • Reading the witness reports reminds me of a freak accident that happend to a club-mate years ago. Front wheel locked and he went over the bars in a race. Upon inspection it looked like a twig off a tree had somehow jammed between the breakblocks and rim causing instant front wheel lockup. Nasty.

Hope the chap is ok, facial injuries are never nice whatever the cause.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Eeek! Hope that the fellow is OK. Every time I read something like this I remind myself to invest in RoadID. But then never do :?
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Gussio wrote:
    Eeek! Hope that the fellow is OK. Every time I read something like this I remind myself to invest in RoadID. But then never do :?

Make it a task to do today. I'm on my second one now having moved house. Only costs c.£15.00 (think the last one was £13.50) and it's that little extra piece of mind when out on the roads.

Sure you're aware, but for those that aren't you get up to six lines of text. Mine has Name and D.O.B; House No. and Postcode; line of '-'s; Dad's Mobile; Mum's Mobile; Girlfriend's Mobile.

The banding's reflective too, so a little more visibility. If you don't fancy having one around your ankle there's a wrist version available.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Love my Road ID- its got my blood type and NKA (no known allergies) on there as well as contact details so the ambulance folk can crack straight on. I've got the wrist version and wear it every ride.

its stopped the girlfriend worrying about me on the commute- she knows if she hasn't had a call from the hospital i'm fine, rather than me having to text her every time i arrive anywhere so she doesn't fret.
  • asprilla
    I wear my roadID all the time. I actually got it when I went out for a 10km run and ended up doing 23km because I was feeling good. When I got home Mrs A was in a right state since I had no id and no way of contacting her she didn't know what had happened to me.

I've got my full name, spouse and parent contact details, blood group, NKA, organ donor note and a request to the first responders not to leave my bike behind. That last one may cause some confusion if something happens whilst I'm out for a run.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • you get them from america yarr or is there a uk version that is as good as?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • got mine from the States. Haven't seen a UK one. TBH they're pretty cheap shipped over anyways
  • I've had one for almost 2 years and like most people wear it whenever I'm out on the bike.
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    One RoadID ordered tonight, excellent idea. Total cost with postage c. £15.00.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Ouch. Hope he's OK.
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Carbon wheels/pads fusing maybe?

Does this really happen?!?!
    The more I hear about carbon, the less I want it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Ouch. Hope he's OK.
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Seems unlikely in this case; if he was on the aero bars, he wouldn't have been touching the brakes...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    TGOTB wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Ouch. Hope he's OK.
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Seems unlikely in this case; if he was on the aero bars, he wouldn't have been touching the brakes...

But the pad and wheel can fuse?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Ouch. Hope he's OK.
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Only if you brake at speed. Anything over 25mph they're pretty likely to fuse.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    pangolin wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Ouch. Hope he's OK.
    Wrath Rob wrote:

If that was the case then the pro's wouldn't use carbon wheels as they're normally over 25mph.

I've only heard 2nd hand and never seen it happen. Apparently its more likely at high speed on repeated stops due to the heat build up.

As said, if (and its an if) he was on the aero bars then its much more likely that he lost control at speed rather than anything else.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    pangolin wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Ouch. Hope he's OK.
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Is this serious?

So your coming down a hill at 30mph, and you have to slow for a roundabout, what are you meant to do then?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Surely that can't be right. You need the brakes to work at over 25mph. What about cars and motorbikes with carbon brakes? I'm sure they do over 25mph.
  • asprilla
    I'm detecting some sarcastic fallout from the 'Anyone's carbon bike not broken today thread'.......
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • http://www.cramalert.co.uk/ is a similar idea to RoadID. Difference is there's a number to ring and someone will contact your family/friends for you. Advantage being you can update your details anytime without needing another ID tag/band.
    Cannondale R800 - Dry
    Kona Honky Tonk - Wet
    '96 GT Outpost - Kids on back
    Genesis Core 120 - Mud
    Raleigh Pro Race - Shop
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i like the idea of cram alert but i already have a roadid which i wear all the time as it also serves as a medical alert bracelet.

if i was buying again i'd definitely consider getting a cram
  • do you not carry your wallet etc?

my wallet has loads of credit/debit cards plus blood donation and other such ones. plus my driving licence.

and my phone.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i always carry my wallet apart from when im out for a run. when commuting my wallet is normally somewhere in my bag easier for the medics to check your wrist than it is for them to go through your bag.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm detecting some sarcastic fallout from the 'Anyone's carbon bike not broken today thread'.......
    D'oh!! :oops:
  • asprilla
    I only have my clothes, shoes, ipod and a front door key when I'm out for a run.

When I'm commuting my wallet is in a small bag in my rucksack and would take a while to find. When out cycling at the weekend I carry my drivers licence and a cash card, but neither will quickly put a first responder in touch with my wife.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Daniel B wrote:

So your coming down a hill at 30mph, and you have to slow for a roundabout, what are you meant to do then?
    Slow down first, and then brake. Obviously!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Daniel B wrote:
    Is this serious?

You have to sit up and unfurl the cape to act as a giant wind break.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    i always carry my wallet apart from when im out for a run. when commuting my wallet is normally somewhere in my bag easier for the medics to check your wrist than it is for them to go through your bag.

I guess the main thing is I don't consider the risk high.