2011 Cervelo R3 with Red/Rotor

GoldenBear
GoldenBear Posts: 120
edited April 2012 in Your road bikes
e2d8658f.jpg

Quick iPhone photo taken on a ride this morning.
I'm currently incredibly slow uphill, slower downhill and not best ever on the flats. However, it's great.

2011 Cervelo R3
SRAM Red
Rotor 3D+ cranks / ceramic bbright BB
Look HM Ti pedals
3T team finishing kit
Fizik Aliante Carbon saddle
Spesh SWorks Classic tape
KMC X10SL chain
Mavic Ksyrium Elite 2011 wheels (brilliant! I've had all sorts before, including Zipp, Campag Bora Ultra Two, Dura Ace, light weight hand builts, but these are for me the perfect balance of performance and price)
Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tyres, although I have some paves for bad days too.

To be honest it's a bit of a 'magnolia' bike in that it's not in the least bit exotic or exciting to look at but it rides like a dream, it's really stiff and direct without, to quote keith Lemon, smashing your back doors in.

Headtube is long but that means for most of us less spacers showing.

I think I may end up changing the chainrings to Stronglight CT2 as I'm not convinced by the oval business and the shifting isn't best ever. Fine on a TT bike where you just shove it in the big dog and stay there but not on a fat boy cruiser.

If I can be bothered I'll take a proper picture when I'm home.

I may even sort the steerer out one day. However as I get fatter and my back gets worse the bars may creep up a little.

Comments

• BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Very nice, I have a soft spot for cervelo's (dreaming of an s2!!!)

Yours looks subtle but smooth - like a nice red wine!!

Bet it moves when u put the hammer down though!!

Glad you like the elites, they are a good wheel!!

Looking forward to the proper pics!!
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • Just get yourself some of this...

55835_m.jpg

...and bingo! Cervelo R5ca!

:D
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Hmmm.... Not your first Cervelo, though... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    As always. A well executed build! Love it.
  • Cheers. I think I have found my perfect bike tbh. There's nothing I'd change about the way it rides/handling. Much prefer it to my old S2, this is stiffer, yet more comfortable and refined, and lighter too which is a bonus.
    Although I've never been a big fan of the way Cervelos look. The new S5 looks far worse in the flesh than it does on the idiot's lantern. Which is saying something.
    One day I may get a custom paint job on it...

I've had a bit more bad news injury wise though, it looks like I have a rotator cuff tear in my unbroken shoulder which was never picked up on at the time of my accident so it'll be even longer to get sorted :(
    My back and other shoulder are getting there though.

Anyhoo, I've already posted too much. Have just been looking at the classifieds/selling stuff the last couple of months. Time to disappear again for a while!
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Nice bike, bought from either Strada or Cadence, as if I am not mistaken thats chew valley lake!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • GoldenBear
    edited September 2011
    It's Swinsty Reservoir near Harrogate...
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Man, i could have sworn it was Chew Valley Lake!!!

great bike though and I also am not a fan of spacers under the stem.

Looks good.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • I think the 3D+ cranks have a lot going for them. I believe they are a pretty universal fit; useful if you want to fit them to another frame or sell them or whatever. This silly creation of numerous BB standards is very American.
  • Yeah, they came with BBRight (fitted), BB30, pressfit/BB90 and English 68mm cups. Can't ask more than that! They are really light but stiff too. Very impressed with them.
  • Frame/Fork/Chainset/Seatpost now for sale in the classifieds :(
  • GoldenBear
    6 month update - Managed to avoid having to sell frame and I'm really getting to love this bike! I have changed the 3T Dorico post as the clamping mechanism kept loosening on long rides and was really p!ssing me off and changed the 3T carbon bars to Deda Zero 1 RHM as I prefer the shape.
    I also have a pair of Cycleops Powertap wheels made with the Velocity A23 rims, the combination of this frame and those wheels is sublime.
    I still love the Elites too!
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    GoldenBear wrote:
    6 month update - Managed to avoid having to sell frame and I'm really getting to love this bike! I have changed the 3T Dorico post as the clamping mechanism kept loosening on long rides and was really p!ssing me off and changed the 3T carbon bars to Deda Zero 1 RHM as I prefer the shape.
    I also have a pair of Cycleops Powertap wheels made with the Velocity A23 rims, the combination of this frame and those wheels is sublime.
    I still love the Elites too!

Great stuff.

I have been looking at those Velocity A23 as a 'long distance' clincher as I ride tubs, but hope to get some long solo rides in this year and as much as I love my tubulars, being in the middle of nowhere could be an issue. Its these or Dura Ace C24 off the shelf. What say you ?
  • GoldenBear
    The DA 24s are great but I found them a little flexy especially out of the saddle, I was getting brake rub. The DA Hubs are out of this world though, if you could get some velocitys built up with DA Hubs and, say, Sapim CX Ray spokes then you are on to a very good thing indeed. Run these with latex tubes and a top of the range clincher then I don't think you'll miss out much on the tubs, fast rolling, extreeeeemly comfortable/smooth due to a combination of tyre shape and the fact you can get away with lower psi and convenient too!
  • GoldenBear
    Oh, I finally decided to cut the steerer too now I'm not selling!
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    GoldenBear wrote:
    The DA 24s are great but I found them a little flexy especially out of the saddle, I was getting brake rub. The DA Hubs are out of this world though, if you could get some velocitys built up with DA Hubs and, say, Sapim CX Ray spokes then you are on to a very good thing indeed. Run these with latex tubes and a top of the range clincher then I don't think you'll miss out much on the tubs, fast rolling, extreeeeemly comfortable/smooth due to a combination of tyre shape and the fact you can get away with lower psi and convenient too!

Great, thanks, will look into the A23's. The research I did today does indeed suggest they ride akin to a tub. I do prefer tub, but there are days when I do 115 miles solo bimbling and whilst that punctures can happen in either format, it is the ease of use on the road which we all know of etc.