mongoose fireball 26"

gingermart
gingermart Posts: 3
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hello, just bought my son the mongoose fireball and I want to know what parts would you recommend changing?the reason why I ask is that he has been on it twice over some jumps and on a gentle dirt track and as had a puncture straight away!Do we need to change to better tubes and tyres?Also the the minimum/maximum on the tyre pressures are 30/80 whats best pressure my son is only about 55kilo in weight!any suggestions would be helpful,thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What sort of punctures - thorns or pinch flats. Pinch flats are normally due to low pressure.
    Tyre pressures is a personal thing and depends on tyres, conditions, weight, type of riding etc, but based on his weight I would suggest the lower end of the scale but not too low they pinch flat.
    Punctures are just one of those things though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • yeah,i realise that punctures are par for the course. :wink: It looks like a pinch puncture ! I did tell my son to aim for the middle of the pressure range to begin with and then adjust to suit but his pals have said have them low 30psi hence the pinch puncture.But his pals have told him he needs to get a better quality innertube! :o Surely the one that comes with a £400 bike will suffice for now?thanks
    ps i just want to get my sons bike right for his safety.We are both new to this and I know my son is going to listen to his mates before old dad :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Heavy duty (Downhill) tubes might help, but pinchflats are caused by low pressure. Need to up the pressure until they stop.
    I find with mine that a bit of GBH helps and if that fails, a few weeks in the box in the basement.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools