How good are the Lapierre bikes

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Been looking at various bikes in the £2300 range and upto now loving the specialized stumpjumper FSR Comp but just seen the Lapierre Zesty 314 2012 model and that looks the biz. Is this bike on a par with the stumpjumper or better for the cash?

Comments

• I got the Zesty 514, awesome bike my mate has the stumpy and the Zesty 314 and reckons the Zesty beats it every time, Lapierre every time for me but I do like the stumpy's they are good bikes and like the Lapierres they look good too.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Forgot to mention this is my 2nd Zesty 514 after owning a Trek EX8 which is a good frame but Bontrager finishing kit and wheels are crap, just don't think there is anything better for around the same money. just my opinion.
  • Thanks mate, what type of warranty is on the Lapierres frame.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    edited September 2011
    It's a lifetime warranty for the frame for the original purchaser if you sell it on then it can become a little complicated with some manufacturers but Lappiere have a really good reputation for customer service even when the bike is sold on.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Thanks mate, what type of warranty is on the Lapierres frame.

Pretty sure is for as long as you own it.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Yep just checked definately is lifetime warranty FRAME only
  • Lapierre only honour warranty for the original owner.

(rueful experience)
  • Good afternoon all,

Pete from Hotlines Europe (Lapierre's UK distributor) here.

It seems someone has been mis-informed regards Lapierre warranties. Below is full clarification on Lapierre warranties:

2008 and earlier - 2 years on full suspension models, 1 year on downhill bikes and 5 years on hardtails (includes road bikes)

2009 onwards (includes 2012) - 5 years on full suspension and hardtail mountain bikes (includes road bikes). 2 years on downhill models.

Warranty covers manufacturer's defects only.

Racing voids all warranty.

The warranty is also non-transferable and valid for the original owner of the bike.

Any questions, please don't be shy!
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Good afternoon all,

Pete from Hotlines Europe (Lapierre's UK distributor) here.

It seems someone has been mis-informed regards Lapierre warranties. Below is full clarification on Lapierre warranties:

2008 and earlier - 2 years on full suspension models, 1 year on downhill bikes and 5 years on hardtails (includes road bikes)

2009 onwards (includes 2012) - 5 years on full suspension and hardtail mountain bikes (includes road bikes). 2 years on downhill models.

Warranty covers manufacturer's defects only.

Racing voids all warranty.

The warranty is also non-transferable and valid for the original owner of the bike.

Any questions, please don't be shy!

So buy a Marin or a Whyte and get a lifetime frame and bearing warranty...I also think Trek offer a lifetime warranty on frames (non transferable)...with past Lapierre issues you may want to look at other brands...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • I am just looking into a whyte T120s. Looks pretty incredible. Better spec than most
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    5 years warranty is pretty good. Remember you're warrantied for defects not damage or wear and tear, and the majority of those will show up well within 5 years of use. It's your bath-tub curve failure rate, outright defects and bad design decisions tend to show up fast then once the bike's been "tested" the likelihood of failure drops right off until it starts to wear out.

Considering the lifespans of modern mountain bikes especially- not all that many people are riding around on full suss bikes they've had for 5 years, so that's worth taking into account.

Marin's bearing warranty is ace though.
    Uncompromising extremist