vim147 Posts: 120
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 140mm
Trek Fuel EX8 120mm
Giant Trance X3 120mm
Giant Anthem X3 100mm
Boardman FS Pro 120mm
Boardman FS Team 120mm

Am on the lookout for a second-hand full suspension bike for £500-£750.

I've narrowed down a few bikes that interest me. Just wanted your thought on them and which you'd go for.

Am planning on getting a cheap Hard tail for light trails and road use so want a full suspension for technical rides. Something that i can take to Spain/Austria/Alps. Needs to be able to ride for 20+ miles, Climb and descent (although not DH racing)

All these bikes would be 08> models and weigh around 12-13kg. Just wondering on that travel mm i should get. Is 120mm going to be enough or shall i only look for 140mm travel. Giant Anthem 100mm too low ?

I quite like the Stumpjumper FSR and Boardman bikes.

I have till next summer to get something.

Comments

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I can only say what my Giant Trance X3 (2010) feels like. It is a superb bike, with a suspension capable of taking a much bigger hits than the 120mm travel would sugest. Also, it climbs wery well, and is very good and forgiving on the downhill.

The difference from the Anthem, is that it has slacker geometry, and more relaxed pose, making it a great trail bike. The Anthem is much more XC race oriented, and, also, climbs great, but would not be so fast and forgiving on the downhill.

So it depends, on what you're after.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010