Trail Gator + CNOC 16: does it fit?

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
The CNOC 16 seems a dead cert for the lad's next birthday, but I'd like to combine it with a trail gator towbar. Has anyone tried this, done it, succeeded and thinks it's a great idea? Looking at the pictures I'm not entirely convinced the bracket will fit on the CNOC's headtube.
Also, what the heck is a CNOC? And why would you name a bike after one? I'll need to answer both questions if I hand the bike over to a four-year old!
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• First post, first-hand knowledge!

Tne trailgator is an almost impossible-to-fit lump of cast iron which will destroy your seatpost and spoil the nice paint-job on your son's new Islabike.. I bought one for the same reason as you a few years ago and decided it just wasn't worth the bother. Possibly the poorest designed bike accessory I have ever seen...I bought a proper trailer-bike instead, which I was able to sell on a few years later for almost as much as I paid for it.

Cnoc is gaelic for a little hill. If you stick with Islabikes you'll at some point end up buying a Beinn (um, big hill). Good choice, though. They are simply the best available kids' bikes.
  • Despite steve63's bad experience, I have been successfully trailing my son's Cnoc 16 with three different bikes: a full susser, a hard tail and a folding bike.

I'll attach pictures when I get a chance this weekend.
  • fnegroni wrote:
    Despite steve63's bad experience, I have been successfully trailing my son's Cnoc 16 with a hard tail .

And i have with no probs at all.
  • dudes
    dudes Posts: 5
    trail gators are fantastic. Used them with all three kids.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    I've used a trail gator with a CNOC 16. Put some tape on first in order to protect the paint work and carefully follow the instructions (preferably use a torque wrench). It takes a bit of time to get it fitted properly, but once set up it is a great bit of kit.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    resurrecting an 8yo thread - they've hopefully learnt how to ride and got the stamina to ride solo by now ...

anyway - IMHO - trail gators - fine for occasional use. But if you're seriously into riding and want to tow your child for some distances then you should look at the follow-me tandem - much more expensive, but clamps better and doesn't have the lean that you'll inevitably get with the trail gator...
    (don't try saying it doesn't - it does - I've seen them in use and had one, worked for a metal company and done plenty of engineering - you have a tube which elongates with a simple pin - it has a tolerance - you're going to get a lean ... )
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    When I took the time to set mine up properly, using the recomended torques I managed to eliminate the lean so it can be done..........................
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    natrix wrote:
    When I took the time to set mine up properly, using the recomended torques I managed to eliminate the lean so it can be done..........................

It can't - it'll be there - nothing to do with the fittings on the seatpost or following bike - it's the quick release fitting of the bar and the extending arm that pins into place.