discounted alu or new carbon

russellbeale
russellbeale Posts: 5
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Am about to spend ~£3k on a bike, and am debating whether to buy a discounted 2011 Alu model or spend a bit more (~£500) and get a similar machine but in carbon.

Am not into racing - am just getting back into biking after an absence of a few years - but have background concerns that the carbon will be a more long-lived partner, and slightly comfier to ride, than the current alu version.

Bikes in the frame - Pivot Mach 5.7 built with xt (2011 Alu or 2012 carbon) or Lapierre 714 carbon 2012.

Is the carbon going to be worth the extra (and given the cost of the bike, the relative extra of 20% or so)? Note that I'd originally expected to pay around £2k, but have gently edged it up over time - don't want to continue doing this. But nor do I want to keep on spending on upgrades and things, nor think to myself in a year that I need to buy another frame....

thoughts welcomed.....

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Alu frame will usually come with a long gaurantee (for as long as you own it).

If thats the only reason your worried about Alu, I wouldn't spend £500 extra for a carbon frame.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Can you ride them both? You might hate the suspension setup on one of them.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • only chances to ride them are round car parks - both are fine there :-) Frame guarantees are 3 years for pivot, 5 years for lapierre....
  • Note that I'd originally expected to pay around £2k, but have gently edged it up over time - don't want to continue doing this.

hahaha - don't you just love that. That's what I'm trying to explain to the missuz - the sooner I get it the cheaper it will be!!!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8