Any Ford Focus owners?

notsoblue
notsoblue Posts: 5,756
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Will the trunk fit a de-wheeled road bike?

Comments

• cje
    cje Posts: 148
    Mine does, but I have the estate model.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    edited September 2011
    I think you'll find it's called a BOOT!

Back me up here Greg66.

Doubt it's that different from our Pug - have to take the parcel shelf out, but otherwise not a problem.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I had one for a week - if it is the new shape, yes, it will.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Mine fits perfectly in my Clio. Okay.....the parcel shelf is out, back seats down, front seats forward and I can't change into 2nd/4th but it still fits.....
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    rjsterry wrote:

Back me up here Greg66.

Doubt it's that different from our Pug - have to take the parcel shelf out, but otherwise not a problem.

You're right it is called a boot. Next the OP will be describing the Focus as 'Liftback' as oppose to 'Hatchback', y'all...

To the question: Hatchback with the rear seats folded down certainly. Rear seats up, not sure depends on the size of the bike.

Incidentally I could fit my de-wheeled large 50+cm Giant SCR 3 road bike frame in the back of my Seat Ibiza (in other words a VW Polo) with the rear seats folded down, so i don't see it being an issue with a focus.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Back me up here Greg66.

You're right it is called a boot. Next the OP will be describing the Focus as 'Liftback' as oppose to 'Hatchback', y'all...

To the question: Hatchback with the rear seats folded down certainly. Rear seats up, not sure depends on the size of the bike.

Incidentally I could fit my de-wheeled large 50+cm Giant SCR 3 road bike frame in the back of my Seat Ibiza (in other words a VW Polo) with the rear seats folded down, so i don't see it being an issue with a focus.

I think you will find that it is called a 'compact' old boy....
  • notsoblue
    rjsterry wrote:

Back me up here Greg66.

Apologies, my dad is a Trini, and didn't grow up in the UK. So I use terms like "trunk" and "gas station" :S

Thanks for the feedback, still not quite sure. Won't be able to put both seats down, and its not an estate...
  • notsoblue wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Back me up here Greg66.

Apologies, my dad is a Trini, and didn't grow up in the UK. So I use terms like "trunk" and "gas station" :S

Thanks for the feedback, still not quite sure. Won't be able to put both seats down, and its not an estate...

Put part of the 60/40 rear down, it will just fit, might have to remove the seatpost.

Your Dad dresses in womens clothes, what's that got to do with it? :wink:
  • notsoblue
    Put part of the 60/40 rear down, it will just fit, might have to remove the seatpost.
    I *think* I know what that means, cheers!
    Your Dad dresses in womens clothes, what's that got to do with it? :wink:

Whyioutta!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    notsoblue wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Back me up here Greg66.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :roll:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue wrote:
    I *think* I know what that means, cheers

Sorry...the rear seat it in two pieces, one wider than the other. These can be folded down together or seperate. If you can fold the wider one down (60%) you will have more room for the bike.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

Sorry...the rear seat it in two pieces, one wider than the other. These can be folded down together or seperate. If you can fold the wider one down (60%) you will have more room for the bike.

Ah I get it now, cheers! (and can cancel my order of grapefruits and a bear bikini).
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Ah I get it now, cheers! (and can cancel my order of grapefruits and a bear bikini).

If it's the ST model it won't fit a 58cm bike without both down had to get teh child seat out of my sisters when i used it a couple of weeks back. something like a 52 might fit though.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    My Volvo S40 (it's built on the Focus floorpan) swallows my bike without folding the rear seats out of the way if I take the wheels off and remove the seatpost, which is a doddle on the current bike.

Can't you flag one down in the street and see if you get it in the boot? You could make sure it's a woman driver and treat yourself to an ogle down her top if you fancy. That seems to be the rage today. :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I was going to make some anal post about how even though the two cars are built on the same platform the shell (body) isn't the same dimensions, which is true.

Only wiki has told me that a second generation Focus is in some cases taller, wider and longer than a second gen Volvo S40.

Which can't be right. Either way CIB wins again. :x
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I could get mine in my old shape ka if I took the wheels off, it will be fine.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • So the answer is yes, it just depends on what you're willing to take off the bike, I have a 307 sw so it swallows all sorts of things (being French).
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Put the wheels back on and cycle along. Problem solved.
  • Astra Estate here. I can get my Surly Big Dummy in the back of it, with the front passenger seat forward of course :)

BK3266.jpg
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    With both wheels off I can get my bike in the back of my 2nd gen Focus hatchwith just the 60% part of the rear seat down, with the whole rear seat folded you just need the front wheel off.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    You should be fine.

I've got 2 x road bikes in the back of my sons Fiesta, dropped the back seats and took the front wheel off both bikes, also took the saddles off due to limited roof space.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Which can't be right. Either way CIB wins again. :x
    Live with it DD. That's how life works. :wink:

What you need instead (OP) instead of a Focus is the new Vauxhall TARDIS due in 872BC or thereabouts. Your bike should fit in there, with space for the odd universe in the glove box. Sorted.

Would have posted an image of the Goodies' Trandem being swallowed up by a TARDIS, but TBH CBA.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    and back to body shells an production, the first run of fords are normally made by toyota

not sure after that recall, is that a good idea?
  • markos1963 wrote:
    With both wheels off I can get my bike in the back of my 2nd gen Focus hatchwith just the 60% part of the rear seat down, with the whole rear seat folded you just need the front wheel off.
    Same here with my 1st gen focus hatchback.

Mike
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I got 3 MTBs, and 2 weeks worth of kit in the back of my focus, with the rear seats down, obviously.

You could take out the parcel shelf, fold down the small section of the rear seats and put the bike in upright with the saddle removed. Then bungee cord it to the side of the boot or strap it in with the seatbelt. It was tall enough for MTBs with riser bars and 150mm forks, don't know if that'll be enough for a road bike. If it works you can get 2 bikes in like that, and still have room for 4 passengers, and you've got 60% of the boot space left too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    I think you will find that it is called a 'compact' old boy....
    No, that's a saloon (or anything smaller than a Dodge Ram).

Now an "import" on the other hand, is anything that can go around corners.

I love Americans. They can abbreviate "indicator" to "turn signal".
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    1985 Saab Turbo. Seats down, both wheels on - wheel it half way in and then lay it down. Dead easy and the car's narrower than most modern cars :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Late 90s Civic Coupé here.
    Two road bikes (wheels off) and 5 days luggage for me and the former Mrs EKE in the boot (sports bag for me, everything she ever bought for her).
    No seats down, no parcel shelves removed (not that its got one to remove) and a Bazooka tube and amp still in-situ.

Proper Tardis like if you have a bit of spatial awareness.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • estampida wrote:
    and back to body shells an production, the first run of fords are normally made by toyota

Where did you get that from! :?: :?:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    estampida wrote:

Where did you get that from! :?: :?:

Yeah, source please.

If you had said Mazda, I could easily believe it as Ford own 49% of Mazda, but why would the biggest car manufacturer in the world (temporarily, before the recall) make stuff for Ford?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!