Close shave - Lesson learnt

Mark Bom
Mark Bom Posts: 184
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Riding home yesterday afternoon I nearly came a cropper with a novice rider but thankfully managed to stay upright.

I was riding on a short stretch of cycle path at the start of my route home. I don't normally use it as it is always busy with pedestrians and other riders but traffic was backed up so I rode the 100 metres just to avoid it.

Ahead of me there was a young woman on her mountain bike, earphones in ears, fag on and carrier bag hanging from handlebars and all over the narrow cycle path.
I decided to stay behind her for the 50 metres and overtake back on the road.
Unfortunately she looked over her shoulder and saw me behind her and kindly started drifting left to allow me to pass, problem was, she wasn't looking where she was heading and promptly rode straight into a lamp post!!!

She and her bike came tumbling down in front of me and I experienced that slow motion sensation before a fall, but thankfully I just about managed to weave my self past her and unclip a foot in time to stop myself going down.

Poor girl though, she was Eastern European and wasn't badly hurt, only banging her thigh and more embarrassed than injured. She was very apologetic and I stayed with her to make sure she was ok before going on my way. Felt a bit sorry for her, but not too sorry to enjoy a good ogle down her blouse as she bent forward! :twisted:

Lesson I learnt was, even though I was travelling no more than about 8 mph and given her loads of room, you can't account for what people will do. Now, I'll be giving folks even more room when I pass!!

Comments

• ROFPMSL!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: You owe me a new keyboard!!!!!!
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    So let me get this right, your rode behind her, spooked her into riding into a lamp post and then had an ogle down her top. Gotta admire your style mate but there must be easier ways of picking up women :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Rich158 wrote:
    So let me get this right, your rode behind her, spooked her into riding into a lamp post and then had an ogle down her top. Gotta admire your style mate but there must be easier ways of picking up women :wink:

Now you say it...I suppose I did?
  • Rich158 wrote:
    Doesn't count as picking up of you knocked her down in the first place.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I have to admit I did read all that as:

I was perving at a girls arse while cycling home. She turned around, saw me, panicked and rode into a lamp-post. I almost fell off myself 'cos I was so fixated on her bum. I felt really guilty so helped her up,you know what they say about copping a quick grope, AND I got to stare at her bewbies as well 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    He nearly got sucked in due to target fixation.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Veronese68 wrote:
    He nearly got sucked in

He should be so lucky :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    so when you say "close shave", was it more than her blouse you got to ogle down?
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    edited September 2011
    Mr Burns you have done it again! The way you can embellish a story is a proper talent. Are you a prosecuting lawyer by any chance? I would hate to be on the defence's team if I was facing you as you would create a story that would have even an innocent defendant convinced they are guilty.

On a serious note though, I don't know about you guys but I find cyclists listening to music in busy traffic even more annoying and stupid than motorists on their mobile phones.

1) You're already vulnerable enough as you're sitting on a 9kg bit of metal with no seatbelt, airbag or monocoque to protect you
    2) You're nullifying one of the two main senses for cycling/being on the road full stop, thus making yourself a danger to yourself and everyone else
    3) You're probably listening to Rick Astley anyway, so I'm sure it can wait!

btw @Mark Bom, I'm glad to hear your near miss had a happy ending :wink:
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    She was gutted she broke her fag.

As for ogling, I would never do that. Honest
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Ride hard wrote:
    On a serious note though, I don't know about you guys but I find cyclists listening to music in busy traffic even more annoying and stupid than motorists on their mobile phones.

I wear massive headphones and listen to music on my commute. I can hear fine...
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I have to admit I did read all that as:

I was perving at a girls ars* while cycling home. She turned around, saw me, panicked and rode into a lamp-post. I almost fell off myself 'cos I was so fixated on her bum. I felt really guilty so helped her up,you know what they say about copping a quick grope, AND I got to stare at her bewbies as well 8)

Sounds like you need to lend him your "special" cape.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:

Ahh, so it was you I passed this morning humming along to what sounded like Rick A's greatest hits :) Each to their own, I just know I could never hear what's going on around me plus listen to music at the same time - but then I do have small ears.
  • will3 wrote:
    I have to admit I did read all that as:

I was perving at a girls ars* while cycling home. She turned around, saw me, panicked and rode into a lamp-post. I almost fell off myself 'cos I was so fixated on her bum. I felt really guilty so helped her up,you know what they say about copping a quick grope, AND I got to stare at her bewbies as well 8)

Sounds like you need to lend him your "special" cape.

I have no idea what you mean

3166781829_1c1443f47c.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Ride hard wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:

Ahh, so it was you I passed this morning humming along to what sounded like Rick A's greatest hits :) Each to their own, I just know I could never hear what's going on around me plus listen to music at the same time - but then I do have small ears.

You haven't lived until you've heard the neurofunk remix of Never Gonna Give You Up.

Really though, I can hear fine. They're open, over ear headphones though. Would probably be different with earbuds.
  • Makes sense. I've got those inner ear jobbies that cut out all ambient noise.

Thanks for reminding me how old I'm getting btw. I had to google Neurofunk to find out what it is! :oops:

Ricky A meets Alex Reece or 4 hero et al would be like Judy Garland meets Dr Dre. Just plain wrong.