Avid Juicy 3's

Cogsy1976
Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, have recently upgraded the brakes on my Giant Yukon from mechanical to Avid Juicy 3's I didnt have to shorten them as they only just fitted on my small frame (god help anyway with a medium or large frame!) anyway although they seem to work quite well I do have to pull the handle in quite a way before they stop me.

The hydraulics on my other Giant (Giant own brakes) seem much better and only need a slight touch on the brake handle before they stop.

Question is are they all like this or do they need bleeding? both brakes are exactly the same so its not on one and not the other, a friend told me to adjust a srew on the handle but I have tried this and hasnt done a thing! any advice appreciated!!
Thanks

Comments

• What's the Pad / Rotor condition? Are they brand new? If not, could be worth investing in new pads and clean up your rotor.

OR: If they're brand new you'll have to bed them in properlly before you get any sort of performance from them...
  • Yes they are brand spanking new
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Giant's own brakes are a derivative of some older Hope brakes, and they are very very good.
    Unfortunately, Juicy 3s are pi** poor.
  • Really? Im pretty sure that I read somewhere that Giant root brakes werent very good, must admit Ive been pretty impressed with them personally
  • Anonymous
    Root brakes? Hmm, never tried them. I know the MPH brakes were rebranded Hope brakes.

The problem is, Juicy 3s are the very bottom of the hydraulic brake barrel. They're "ok", and are (were) fitted OEM to many bikes.
    But, they are not really an upgrade over anything, and in any situation where serious brakes are called for, they can frankly be dangerous.
  • Ok I get that you dont like Juicy 3's but to call them dangerous surely is a bit harsh lol

So you would say that mechanicals are better than the juicy 3's?
  • Seems the reviewer here disagrees as well lol

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... cy-3-31072
  • Anonymous
    I don't know, the only mechanicals I've ridden were actually recalled because they were so poor :lol:

Like I said, Juicy 3s are "ok". BUT, and it is a big BUTT, when you really really need your brakes to perform, they are no good, they will suffer immense overheating and fading problems, and they just don't offer as much outright power as better equipment.
    If you live somewhere relatively flat, you might be fine, but even my commute pushed them beyond their limit :?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If they are mushy might need a bleed, just long lever travel take the wheels off, brake and then open the pads just enough to get the rotors back in.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't comment on how good they are but must be better than cantis.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools