xtr m965 wheelset

carbonlover
carbonlover Posts: 207
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
hi guys.
need your input as after some wheels.
whats the top 5,tubless for hard crosscountry rides.
i got a chance of a set of m965 full xtr with straight pull spokes.
yeh they are sopposed to be the best.but whats the real review.

cheers

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    SS likes his XTR. I'm not keen on factory wheels as a whole, tend to be expensive and spares can be hard to come buy.

I'd far sooner just custom build to suit your budget. DT 240s on Crests would a nice mid range option.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are my wheels he has a chance to get ;-)

They are tough for the weight, and the hubs are simply superb. But I would say that ;-).
  • njee20
    By the way they're not straight pull spokes, they just have the elbow at the rim, not the hub.

That's fairly irrelevant though, as they're still propietary spokes and spares must be got via Shimano.

You won't go too far wrong, the hubs spin beautifully, particularly if you give them a service every now and again, they're UST compatible, and as SS says they're tough for the weight. They're not particularly light though, and as I said spares can be expensive and hard to come by.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Spares are easy to get - get the code from the tech documents, order from any Shimano Service Centre.

The spokes are not proprietry - they are Sapim Race spokes.
  • njee20
    Do they not have the weird washers on the spokes though? And need strange nipples? Or was that just the Dura Ace ones. My point was that you can walk into any shop in the world and expect them to have spares, but I'd have far more confidence in Madison to have stock than some suppliers!