Process FAIL

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Process:

Take large bag of underwear to work in a specific carrier bag, my 'underwear' carrier bag. When bag is empty put bag in pannier so when I get home I see underwear carrier bag, refill it and take to work the next day. Good process.

Process Fail:
Arrive home last night, take underwear bag out of pannier, leave on side to fill later and jump in shower. While in shower Mrs EC puts underwear bag in cupboard with other carrier bags, all done in a nano second while she is satisfying her OCD for tidyness. Me showered, just thnking about food now and maybe a glass of red.

10 miles into my morning commute and for some reason I suddenly remember putting the carrier bag on the side....and doing no more. Ahh, process fail. :oops:

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Hopefully you are not wearing light coloured trousers at work, otherwise it is 'wet penny in the pocket' day for you......
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Never wait until you run out before you restock.

Similarly never take something home before you've already brought in it's replacement (e.g. your towel)
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    you take a large bag of underwear to work everyday?

have you thought about trying these instead?

clicky
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Nice day to go commando though!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I've take a fresh pair of undercrackers and clean t shirt in with me (nearly) every morning. Having had a similar fail I keep a spare pair in my desk drawer in case of similar errors. Also a good deterrent to chocolate chip cookie thieves.
  • Having come very close the other week, I brought in extra coverage of 6 trunks with me on pt day...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Better to accidentally run out of underwear than to accidentally take your trousers home and not bring in a new pair..........

(and yes, I have once spent the day in the office in my cycling kit!)

Not today though as I am having an impromptu week off and another 100 miles of easy biking (around the plain of York - mostly pancake flat!) is about to happen!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Having gone commando a couple of times over the past years of commuting, I do have a plan B. Bottom drawer of desk, one spare set of socks and pants, tucked away for an emergency. Still went commando from showers to office though, kinda like it!

Emergency empty bag is now in pannier,,,,and I've put a reminder in my phone.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Half way to work this morning when I remembered I'd forgot to pack underwear :oops:

First time in 13 years commuting that's happened :x

Now wearing my lycra shorts under my jeans :)

On the plus side, it'll be 18 seconds quicker getting changed for the ride home ...
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I forgot to pack undies in my bag today... Sitting free and easy... I could get use to this....
  • What's so special about today then...or do people forget all the time and just not own up?
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    As a personal assistant, and as a cyclist, I do understand the need to keep a spare pair of smalls at work, and I do the same. BUT, if you guys do happen to have a PA of your very own, please could you very diligently tuck them away? I've lost count of the times I've jumped out of my skin after encountering my boss's "briefs" in his drawer when I'm trying to retrieve receipts for his expense claim :(
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • msmancunia wrote:
    As a personal assistant, and as a cyclist, I do understand the need to keep a spare pair of smalls at work, and I do the same. BUT, if you guys do happen to have a PA of your very own, please could you very diligently tuck them away? I've lost count of the times I've jumped out of my skin after encountering my boss's "briefs" in his drawer when I'm trying to retrieve receipts for his expense claim :(

Christ talk about the Receptionist Part II post!!!! :shock: :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Luckily for me the only thing i have forgoten to pack is a pair of socks once - i have never thought about an emergency set - now i am and will packing some up to leave in my locker now.

I am a pack and carry every day guy rather than taking a load of stuff and leaving it at work though.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I have forgoten several times... normally from waking up late and mad rush packing. Packng the night before is for organised folk!

I once forgot a pair of jeans and hate to spend the morning with my bib tights on untill my girlfriend (who fortunatly doesn't work far from me) came in with a pair for me.... fun day that was >_<
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I usually pack the night before (useless in the morning) so never had that problem although I did once leave a pair in a obvious place but got in early to tidy up before anyone else saw them, I only realised after I had got 2/3 of the way home and got that sinking feeling doh
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    keep a box of these handy:

underwear

love the pics!
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    An "uder" garment?
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • spare pair of socks and pants kept in locker at work . have only failed once and had to do a commando day. that was enough to teach me to keep a spare set in work.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I have a full emergency outfit, from bitter experience, and a microfibre towel - I also have shoes, coat and a belt that live permanently at work
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight