(Singing) "I love BnB's"

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
"Add another sausage to the breakfast Baby!"

Seriously, I spend a lot of my life on the road one way or another and I can't recall the last time I (voluntarially) stayed in an Hotel as opposed to a BnB.

Currently sitting on the deck of the boat Sovereign in the marina in Rochester in Kent. My cabin is immaculate, the breakfasts are stunning and the hosts congenial. What more could you want? Oh yes, forgot, £35 a night for a single and. as they didn't have one available, my double bedroom (cabin, OK) is £45 a night. Travelodge anyone? I'd rather eat my socks.

For similar money I've stayed in Georgian vicarages, converted bothys, and on one memorable stay a standalone cottage with a sauna you could play pool in attached to the bedroom that boasted a four poster.

Tripadvisor is your friend people!

(the author has no stake in either TripAdvisor nor any floating BnBs to the east of Lunnon)

Aah, another glass of the Shiraz m'thinks.....
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Not a bad shout - ever tried it for European travel?
  • I always do this, hate 'lego brick' hotels with a passion... so always look for a B&B or a smaller family run hotel and found some great places... especially when I was working on contract in Yorkshire and when I did the Transpennine Trail from Southport to Hornsea and when I cycled Ostend to Maastricht (13C convent in Bruge complete with 'naughty' contemporary wall drawings that were found when it was refurbished :), plus a room in a windmill one night)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • No thanks, I'll stick to hotels. I don't want to be followed around by some clucking, dustpan-and-brush brandishing house-proud ninny in a pinny. Just give me my key and feck off.
  • CrackFox wrote:
    No thanks, I'll stick to hotels. I don't want to be followed around by some clucking, dustpan-and-brush brandishing house-proud ninny in a pinny. Just give me my key and feck off.
    Yet to encounter any such TV-stereotype!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    fidbod wrote:
    Not a bad shout - ever tried it for European travel?

Without fail these days
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Must admit, I'm with CrackFox (even though my Mother-in-law owns a B&B in Bude), but only for the reason that you never know what sort of a host you are going to get.

I've been to B&B's before where you feel as if you are invading somebody's home, and I don't like that; makes me feel uncomfortable.

Give me the anonymity of a hotel any day.

Granted though, if you get a good host, I'd take a B&B. Breakfasts are normally better, and some of the best full englishes I've had have been at B&B's, but I'd rather eat it without some west highland terrier sniffing up my leg!!! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • CrackFox wrote:
    No thanks, I'll stick to hotels. I don't want to be followed around by some clucking, dustpan-and-brush brandishing house-proud ninny in a pinny. Just give me my key and feck off.

I have - in Keswick, on the C2C route. The only thing the proprietor seemed to like less than putting up cyclists was putting up vegetarian cyclists. And then there was the small, family run hotel in Whitehaven where they seemed genuinely baffled to be asked for fresh fruit at breakfast. I'm sure there are good B&Bs, but I'd rather stay in a big faceless travel lodge where I know what to expect and where the staff at breakfast won't drone on about the provenance of their sausages, the bilberry jam or whatever.
  • Went to North Wales last week to do some scrambling. Stayed in Capel Curig in a converted church...it was on '3 in a bed' a few years ago. Great accommodation, great people, great brekkie!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    CrackFox wrote:
    CrackFox wrote:

I have - in Keswick, on the C2C route. The only thing the proprietor seemed to like less than putting up cyclists was putting up vegetarian cyclists. And then there was the small, family run hotel in Whitehaven where they seemed genuinely baffled to be asked for fresh fruit at breakfast. I'm sure there are good B&Bs, but I'd rather stay in a big faceless travel lodge where I know what to expect and where the staff at breakfast won't drone on about the provenance of their sausages, the bilberry jam or whatever.

bloody vegetarians, always maoning about something! :D:D:D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    OPs fave pop tune is on the wireless right now. Spooky or what? What, probably. :wink:
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I did a thorough survey of all the B&B's in Lyme Regis a few years ago, as a result of a boatbuilding project. For every congenial host(ess) serving a yummy breakfast, there were two fussy busybodies with notices all over the house reminding me to be quiet, turn the taps off, turn the lights off, leave the lights on, leave the front door locked, leave the front door unlocked, and serving breakfasts made from ingredients that had been selected on price alone accompanied by thimblefulls of "value" orange juice. And don't even get me started on nuclear-powered heating systems with no apparent/permitted means of adjustment...
    Pannier, 120rpm.