Changing from an Anthem X to a Camber - should I?

gonetothehills
gonetothehills Posts: 219
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
I have a fairly well upgraded Anthem X (2009) that I've always been happy with. I had a Santa Cruz Superlight before that and have had a number of FS bikes over the years, and it's been far and away the best, but I've always run it with a longer fork (120mm Rebas on there at the moment), wide bars / short stem. I guess what I've been looking for is a frame with a slacker head angle but still with relatively short travel. The Specialized Camber seems to tick the boxes and it caught my eye when it was launched, has had some (very) good reviews and the 2011 ones are on pretty keen sale prices at the moment.

I think it'sa 68.5 deg head angle and I'd strip my decent kit off the Anthem and swap it onto the new frame. I'd retain the new 10spd drivetrain, but I'm looking at the Expert and don't like the look of the cranks / BB, so I'd probably fork out for an SLX / XT one, then put on my Hope Pro wheels, carbon bars, Thomson stem / post and SLX brakes from the Anthem. Sound like a plan?

The Anthem X has always been regarded as a good, if safe choice for a short travel, all day bike that's suitable for most XC work. I'm not flying off jumps, just riding in the White Peak - so rocks, tracks, a little mud, a bit of road work to get there from my door (my preferred option, verus taking the car), the very occasional trail centre and generally mucking about in the hills.

Any thoughts please, before I push the button at the LBS this weekend...

:)
|> Save money on purchases from CycleStore, Wiggle, Merlin, Evans, Chain Reaction, Halfords and more - click here (or PM me with questions)

Comments

• Don't do it. After having Meastro suspension FSR just won't cut it. Go for a Trance X, same great suspension design with more travel & slacker geometry. You know it makes sense.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Instantly I was struck by this:
    I've always been happy with

I'd keep it! Won the WMB Bike of the Year before, and for good reason.
  • I'd keep it! Won the WMB Bike of the Year before, and for good reason.

Yeah... but... :)

You're right (of course) but whilst it's always been brilliant, it's been a bike I've "made to work" - like a lot of other people have, of course. There's loads who are not running the Anthem X as it was designed to - the longer fork / short stem / burlier wheels thing seems pretty popular. It just struck me that the Camber was the (sensibly priced) way of getting something that had the BB height / seat angle in the right place, a slacker head angle and a similar amount of travel.

I'd always looked at bikes like the Blur 4X, the Yeti ASR and others that have similar geometry and travel, just at a pretty substantial price in comparison. I'm hoping the Camber might bring something like it for the common man!

|> Save money on purchases from CycleStore, Wiggle, Merlin, Evans, Chain Reaction, Halfords and more - click here (or PM me with questions)
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Don't do it. After having Meastro suspension FSR just won't cut it. Go for a Trance X, same great suspension design with more travel & slacker geometry. You know it makes sense.

This.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try nd test the camber?
  • Yes - a test is the plan for the weekend. I'll report back...

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    PS, when you're not absolutely sure in your decision, it's maybe not an upgrade time. Do it when you feel confident that you'll like the change ;)
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Funnily / fortunately enough, my LBS were also suggesting I consider the 2012 Trance X3, I think, so I can look at that on Saturday too. You're right about "if in doubt, do nowt" and that's still an option, so we'll see...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    Don't do it. Anthems are ace :D

Seriously, as already said, go try and if you're not convinced then save your money. Or just go n+1...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • What about a headset that adjusts the fork angle? seen one of these reviewed recently in a mag.

Edit: found it

http://www.k9industries.co.uk/?page_id= ... ion_id_1=1
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    How about looking at something with a bit more travel? Like140/140?
  • Have to say I have a 2011 Stumpy FSR Elite and love it to bits, it does everything I need to do comfortably and far exceeds my capabilities.

However, a rolling stone gathers no moss, so I keep looking at swapping the frame out for somethign exotic, like a Yeti ASR5 or Santa Cruise TRc. But at the end of the day I will have spent a fortune and don't think (FOR ME) that I will have got a better bike. So I am staying put.

The trouble with getting the Camber is that you're having to buy a fully built bike to then throw several items of OEM kit out and replace it with stuff you currently have/or buy replacements. If that is the case you will have a load of OEM bits which won't fetch anything like what you've spent on replacing it.

If you're happy with the maestro suspension, I think Giant supply the Trance-X as a frame only option, so that would allow you to build the perfect bike without the hassle of a box of bits to shift afterwards or infact buggering up your warranty.

Cheers Harvey
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You're right (of course) but whilst it's always been brilliant, it's been a bike I've "made to work"

Nowt wrong with that though, as long as it does work.

I prefer FSR to Maestro tbh but the Anthem X's a stunningly good bike
    Uncompromising extremist