Leaving The Fans Out

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited September 2011 in Pro race
OK, I am probably being a bit precious, but I have followed Cavendish carefully as he is an athlete I admire greatly.

I have followed his every tweet and interview to the press, but not once since he won the Rainbow Jersey have I seen him thank or make any reference to his legion of fans.

Although he & his team are the ones that did the hard work, I think it is gracious to recognise the fans who spend hours stood by the roadside in all sorts of conditions to get a 2 second glimpse of their hero flashing by. It's the existance of the same fans who bring in the sponsors and the money.

If I have missed the mention, then I apologise, but I'd thought that Cav, of all people, would have made at least one mention of us!!

Yours truly, p*ssed off from Blackpool (who used a precious final day of annual leave up to go to the Blackpool finish of the ToB last week and spent a miserable cold windy 4 hours hanging around to catch a glimpse of Cav)!!

Comments

• I might be wrong, but I've never heard any road cyclist thanking his fans after a race.

I think the fans are more fans of the sport than the individuals riding, obviously we all have our favourite riders and teams, but I'd still watch and enjoy a race if none of them were riding.

I would imagine that if Cav wins SPOTY he'll thank his supporters then....you'd hope!
  • Secteur
    He just gets such a massive following on twitter - every post gets loads fo sicophantic replies - there's so much love for him on there, but he never, ever engages with any of his fans. I think a simple "thanks" would go a long way!

Anyway, I know it's not a big deal, I just noticed it.

I should also point out though that I have met him and he is extremely personable in person & will talk to anyone who speaks to him - he's very generous with his time when you meet him.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I think he's waiting to launch his fan club. If you pay £19.99 per year you'll get a email thanking you for your support.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Didnt he wait ages in that place in Blackpool after the stage was called off thanking his fans and posing for all the photographs and autographs people wanted?
  • Secteur wrote:
    OK, I am probably being a bit precious, but I have followed Cavendish carefully as he is an athlete I admire greatly.

I have followed his every tweet and interview to the press, but not once since he won the Rainbow Jersey have I seen him thank or make any reference to his legion of fans.

Although he & his team are the ones that did the hard work, I think it is gracious to recognise the fans who spend hours stood by the roadside in all sorts of conditions to get a 2 second glimpse of their hero flashing by. It's the existance of the same fans who bring in the sponsors and the money.

If I have missed the mention, then I apologise, but I'd thought that Cav, of all people, would have made at least one mention of us!!

Yours truly, p*ssed off from Blackpool (who used a precious final day of annual leave up to go to the Blackpool finish of the ToB last week and spent a miserable cold windy 4 hours hanging around to catch a glimpse of Cav)!!
    Because he doesn't do any of it for you, the fan, he doesn't need you. He races and wins for himself whether you are standing by the side of the road, following his tweets or not.
  • MrTapir wrote:
    Didnt he wait ages in that place in Blackpool after the stage was called off thanking his fans and posing for all the photographs and autographs people wanted?

I'm confused, are there two Secteurs on this forum?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Secteur wrote:
    OK, I am probably being a bit precious
    Correct.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    "I'm a big fan of yours so help me God you'd better be eternally grateful and heap mountains of thanks on me dammit, or I'm going to sulk!"

Does anybody really believe sportists when they say 'thankyou to all the fans"?

I don't.

They're just making all the right noises to keep the fans happy.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    bompington wrote:
    Secteur wrote:
    Correct.

Just a tad. I think it's a bit cringe-making when sportsmen and women thank 'the fans'. It's not as if any of us put in any significant contribution towards their success.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Secteur wrote:

WTF? :roll:
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I've heard him say stuff like "the fans were amazing" loads of times in post-race interviews, even recently in the ToB he was comparing some of it to TdF levels of spectating. If you want a hand-job from him I think you might be waiting a while though...
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Secteur wrote:

Are you a grown-up?
  • bompington wrote:
    Secteur wrote:
    Correct.

+1 potato
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    MrTapir wrote:

Or there is one with a serious split personality disorder.
  • nferrar wrote:
    I've heard him say stuff like "the fans were amazing" loads of times in post-race interviews, even recently in the ToB he was comparing some of it to TdF levels of spectating. If you want a hand-job from him I think you might be waiting a while though...

+loads

:lol:
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    MrTapir wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Or there is one with a serious split personality disorder.

Trolling IMO!!
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    DesWeller wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Secteur wrote:
    Correct.

Just a tad. I think it's a bit cringe-making when sportsmen and women thank 'the fans'. It's not as if any of us put in any significant contribution towards their success.

You could make the argument that the development costs of many sportspeople were ultimately paid for by the taxpayer. Perhaps if Cav gave the OP a receipt?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes you're being precious. You didnt help him sprint that fast ?
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Secteur wrote:

Your post? Made me throw up a little in my mouth..

Seriously, like WTF mate? He isn't Britney Spears FFS!! :shock:

literally shaking my head in disbelief at your post.....

e2a: Are you Stan? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT5_VESqYkk
    cartoon.jpg
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Its wrong to think that in some sports, fans don't contribute to an sportspersons success (or failure). Toiling up a mountain stage in TdF, trying to stay in yellow, fans can be a big help ie Thomas Voeckler. Plenty of sportspeople get inspired by fans to get over the winning line just as some are intimated by hostile ones.

It does come across however that the OP is not actually upset that Cav never thanked the fans but that Cav never personally thanked him. :D I'm sure that wasn't the intent :twisted:
  • Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Its wrong to think that in some sports, fans don't contribute to an sportspersons success (or failure). Toiling up a mountain stage in TdF, trying to stay in yellow, fans can be a big help...

...by giving them a push!

:D
  • wasnt there an interview he did (might have been the Tour) and he spotted a crowd waving the manx flag, he said he'd been over to see them and even gave a wave to them, and if you've ever been at the stage end when the riders are knackered you'll see what they think of their fans (except LA and his old man barging), they nearly always acknowledge the support even though they must just want to eff back to the hotel.

And wiggins mentioned too how proud he felt to see the flags and teh sky kit wearerers cheering the peloton on. Cyclings still the most accessible sport for me and long may it be so.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    edited September 2011
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    Secteur wrote:
    OK, I am probably being a bit precious,

Yep get some mirror time in and have a long hard look at yerself...

As someone once said: 'don't live your life vicariously through the fortunes of others'
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Secteur
    Och, nevermind - should have expected this!

Perhaps I worded my OP wrongly.
  • Secteur wrote:

Take it on the chin, everyone gets a bashing at some point, in fact only yesterday i was called a tw@t for having an opinion, and thats what it is, an opinion. 8)

my opinion is always right though
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    bompington wrote:
    Secteur wrote:
    Correct.

No. The "a bit" is superfluous.

Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Take it on the chin, everyone gets a bashing at some point, in fact only yesterday i was called a tw@t for having an opinion, and thats what it is, an opinion. 8)

No one called you that because of your opinion.

:wink::lol:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Secteur wrote:

What did you expect? Your OP contradicts your other Cav at Blackpool thread. As has already been mentioned these guys are way more accessible than stars in other sports. If you are a good enough rider you might be able to have a chat with him when he is next on the IOM as he still goes out on the club runs. If you fancy your chances against him in a race you can probably take him on along with Bellis and the Kennaughs in the hamper race on Boxing Day.

Also, love him or hate him, what about Lance's impromptu ride outs? I don't see any puffballers inviting the fans down the rec for a kickabout.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition