New tyres - fitting problems

joed21
joed21 Posts: 4
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
Hi there, my first post - but I need some help. I did a bit of research into replacement tyres for my bike, and eventually settled on some michelin Krylion - I have ambrosio ws 23 wheels and so opted for the 23 size tyre.

I have tried to fit them today, whilst i got the tyre on, my first inner tube wouldn't inflate and sounded like all the air was being pused out the valve, my second inner tube on the back wheel burst during inflation, I hadn't got much pressure into the tube probably about 80 psi.

For the front tyre I'm not sure if the inner tube is the wrong size, it being a 28 - 32c and thus inhibiting the inflation - it has been fully inflated on the tyres I am using at the minute. The rear tyre had an inner tube that was 20 - 28 c so it thought this would be fine, but it burst (almost deafening me in the process)

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
Joe

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You'll find plenty of video on Youtube in fitting a tyre - sounds like you need to practise your technique a bit more. Squeezing a 28c tube into a 23 tyre will be tricky too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks, so i can take it that the 28 tube is too big - although it has been ok on the current set of tyres that I am using - i'm guessing the new tyres and more rigid - if that is the right word. When you mention technique I am guessing that the 20-28c tube is fine and that the bursting tube perhaps occured from the tube being pinched in some way during fitting of the tyre.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You should have standard road tubes which will fit fine (as opposed to MTB tubes).

Here's a trick someone showed me recently:

Inflate the tube a bit and listen to it all fit and creak into place, then deflate.
    Then you should be able to push the valve back into the wheel so it presses against the outer edge of the tyre (obviously not so you lose the valve into the rim!) but so you know that the tyre itself isnt gripping the tube (which will puncture it)

Thats where you usually get pinches when you refit a tyre. Once you are sure that its all good, for the max pressure 100psi or whatever you decide!
  • Well just bought some new tubes - 18 - 23's so think the wil be better suited, need to be wary of using the tyre levers too!! that could have caused the tube to be pinched
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Krylions are also bastards to get one so I bet you had to use a fair bit of force!

Just be very careful not to pinch the tube.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Learn how to fit a tyre without levers and you'll minimise of pinching the tube between the tyre and the rim.