Good hill climbing in the Manchester areas

kayo74
kayo74 Posts: 299
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Looking at doing alot more hill climbing and seeing if anyone knew of any good ones in the Manchester areas. Thanks people.

Jay.

Comments

• Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Which side of Manchester? To the east and south east you have the peak district and no shortage. To the north there's the Bury area or a but further there is Clitheroe. Not an awful lot to the west though.
  • Alright mate, I live in the city centre and found some very good hills east of the city in the peak district. Have a look on google maps and you will see the peak district starts just after Ashton-under-lyme, I've riden through Mossley, Saddleworth and up to Holmfirth and Huddersfield before and there are some epic hills and beatifull scenery.

Where abouts in Manchester do you live? If like me your riding solo we could go out for a ride together and I can show you where I've been riding. I'm fairly new to the area so still looking for new places to ride.
    Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0
  • if your in south west manchester, you've got woodhead pass (A628) that goes from hattersley towards sheffield and back over snake pass (A57). i've rode it a couple of times, its quite evil on the ups but there are some good fast descents (about 75miles round trip).
    or anywhere around the glossop/hyde area for shorter routes.
    specialized stumpjumper.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4461838/
    commencal supreme vip.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5884133/
    Bianchi via nirone 7.
  • thats meant to say south east, i've only just got up :shock:
    specialized stumpjumper.
    commencal supreme vip.
    Bianchi via nirone 7.
  • North manchester you have over to saddleworth and Hebden bridge. Going up to Burnley and from there the Trough of Bowland. You have rivington over towards Bolton.

Once you get out of the sprawling metropolis that is Greater Manchester you have some great hills at your disposal.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    One of my favourites just for the never-ending belligerence of it all is the road out of Chapel en le Frith up through Glossop, onto the A57 at Hollingworth and then onto Stalybridge. The road out of C el F is a monster climb (I hit it at about 75 miles from my start point in Leicestershire), and the A57 is a dead straight climb of about half a mile or so that bears right at the lights into a continuation of the same climb for a bit longer. You do get the big drop into Stalybridge from there to make up for the long slog, and the drop into Glossop is quite a smile-raiser too after all that effort.
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    edited September 2011
    As said above. A lot of hills near Rochdale, Bury, Bacup, Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, Halifax, Oldham, Saddlesworth etc. But don't pick up too many at once, the wind is killing up here :D I just came back and on descent from near Cragg Vale to Ripponden I could easily hit 85km/h but on the way back through Denshaw I couldn't manage 25 km/h downhill not mentioning how "fast" I was going uphill :D Good exercise though :)
  • CiB
    Kamil - you mean the loop out of Littleborough and out through Todmorden to Mytholmroyd and on up to the top of Blackstone Edge? Cracking route that whichever way you hit it. From Mytholmroyd to to the top of the Edge is apparently the longest continuous climb in England, 5 miles of it, then the drop back down (after the optional pint at The White House at the top) into Littleborough is always fun but always into a h/wind. The other way is better as it involves going up Blackstone Edge, and that's a good climb. It's the A58 to Halifax at that point.
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    edited September 2011
    Yes, yes :D Actually, I firstly hit Bacup today and then went on the climb from Bacup to Todmorden. After that continued towards Cragg Vale which is the longest gradient in England. With the wind like today's it can make little trouble :D

We've got a lot of nice climbs over here :) I especially like the climb up the Hebden Bridge but then in Keighley there are a lot of small "no namers" that are steep like a wall :D I don't go there much often though :oops:

Very recommended route if anyone is looking for challenge :)

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=290392

...from this years Tour of The Pennines

edited: but be careful, the route include two od these http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/image0292.jpg/ I have nearly crashed and lost my bottles :/ Hopefully found a shop afterwards so I could buy some water to continue the ride :)
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Hi People,

Thanks for the infomation that you have all left.

I live in Chadderton so some of the routes you have mentioned i have done but looking for new routes and more distance with climbs.

Also newish to the area.

Many thanks
  • sorry to hijack.
    to CiB
    CiB wrote:
    One of my favourites just for the never-ending belligerence of it all is the road out of Chapel en le Frith up through Glossop, onto the A57 at Hollingworth and then onto Stalybridge. The road out of C el F is a monster climb (I hit it at about 75 miles from my start point in Leicestershire), and the A57 is a dead straight climb of about half a mile or so that bears right at the lights into a continuation of the same climb for a bit longer. You do get the big drop into Stalybridge from there to make up for the long slog, and the drop into Glossop is quite a smile-raiser too after all that effort.

random question.
    i dont suppose you have that route logged into garmin connect. if so could you send me the link. i fancy a pop at that :D
    specialized stumpjumper.
    commencal supreme vip.
    Bianchi via nirone 7.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Head out of Chadderton in any of these directions:

North West - Ramsbottom Rake, Rivington
    North - Ashworth Valley, Nick of Pendle, Waddington Fell, Jeffrey Hill and the Forest of Bowland
    North East - Cragg Vale, anywhere out of Hebden Bridge
    East - Saddleworth
    South East - Holme Moss, Winnats Pass...
    South - Brickworks, Macc Forest, Long Hill, Cat & FIddle, Mow Cop etc etc

This list is far from exhaustive!
  • CiB
    dave8178 wrote:
    sorry to hijack.
    to CiB
    CiB wrote:

random question.
    i dont suppose you have that route logged into garmin connect. if so could you send me the link. i fancy a pop at that :D
    Sorry no Garmin. I plotted it on BikeHike.co.uk and checked the Show Elevation option to see it when I first did it.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    A hard slog I remember doing was cycling from Bolton to Chesterfield. There is a climb out of Baslow which lasted for over 3 miles of solid climbing in the heat. With a 23 lowest cassette I remember struggling, seemed to last forever! Think it categorises as a cat 4, but after 57 miles it's no breeze.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I'm in Chadderton too! The Rishworth - Halifax - Haworth run is a nice bendy hilly one, and if you've got a mountainbike Tandle Hill is good fun if you haven't been up there.
    Mottram Road on the way from Stalybridge to Glossop is also one I grit my teeth trying to get up.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • mcp73
    mcp73 Posts: 93
    Garz wrote:
    A hard slog I remember doing was cycling from Bolton to Chesterfield. There is a climb out of Baslow which lasted for over 3 miles of solid climbing in the heat. With a 23 lowest cassette I remember struggling, seemed to last forever! Think it categorises as a cat 4, but after 57 miles it's no breeze.

It's the A621 Sheffield Road and it's a favourite of mine. It gets easier over time, but I know what you mean, it's a hard slog even in 39-25. It's a good way to end a long ride!
  • chadderton - royton - newhey - denshaw - rishworth - then pick up w yorks cycle route to sowerby bridge-luddendenfoot - stocks lane - mount tabor - oxenhope - hebden bridge - cragg vale - littleborough back to chadderton

Try that for a start and see how you get on :D