Cavendish - Sweatiest head ever?

izza
izza Posts: 1,561
edited September 2011 in Pro race
When I look at buying a helmet there are 3 main factors - comfort, weight and cooling.

Presumably for Cav, Specialized have sorted out the first two qualities with their latest version of the Prevail. However, in terms of the latter, why did they wrap the helmet in cling film for the World Championship road race?

cav1.jpg

cav2.jpg

Comments

• to make him more aero .

Yes really!
  • he's also wearing a skinsuit. marginal gains and all that...
  • It's not as if there were any hills to climb in Copenhagen. With an average speed approaching 30mph and a temperature in the teens I don't suppose overheating was too much an issue.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    At least his Specialized helmet has the front slotted vent unlike the rest of the GB team's KASK helmets that had no front vents at all.
    The top/rear vents would still let out any excess heat though, so ok for the conditions on the day
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Was he wearing that cover the whole ride?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kfinlay wrote:
    At least his Specialized helmet has the front slotted vent unlike the rest of the GB team's KASK helmets that had no front vents at all.
    The top/rear vents would still let out any excess heat though, so ok for the conditions on the day

Are you sure, the front slotted vents look covered to me.

pic224236106_600.jpg
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    kfinlay wrote:

Yes, but the Kask helmets cover can be removed whilst on the bike - that's not true of a taped vent helmet you are stuck with it for the duration.

There's no chance of overheating on that course, I can't think why any team wouldn't've gone for a more aero helmet.

Are Lazer still sponsoring any pro teams? They're the other helmet manufacturer who come with the ready designed option.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    kfinlay wrote:

Are you sure, the front slotted vents look covered to me.

pic224236106_600.jpg

hadn't seen that photo but the slot looks covered there - not having a good day - typical Monday :roll: :oops:
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    The Prevail has slots under the visor part which allows air through and out the back. These will work when the head is horizontal.

It actually looks like a specially fitted screen for the helmet.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    That ain't cling film. looks like proper plastic. Why not just wear a non-tailed aero helmet like Brad did in the TT. Probably cos Spesh don't make one........
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    He obviously didn't have any problems overheating so why the feck aere people so obsessed with his bloody helmet condom?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    He is also wearing Radars instead of his usual Jawbones. Marginal gains?
    Rich
  • Mouth wrote:
    That ain't cling film. looks like proper plastic. Why not just wear a non-tailed aero helmet like Brad did in the TT. Probably cos Spesh don't make one........

Because TT helmets have much less venting than even a covered road helmet, and they cover up your ears so you can hear bugger all:

wiggins_dauphine_tt_ban-620x375.jpg
  • Millar wore an aero helmet into Paris in Le Tour...

http://www.owenphilipson.com/blog/2011/ ... ro-helmet/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Dutch are describing it as a "helmet condom" in the papers.

Apparently trackies use it.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    How did that get past the commissaires as it seems to breach one of the UCI regs (my italics). Given that people have been hauled up in the past for breaching this rule by wearing oversocks in road races, it seems a little odd.

1.3.033 It is forbidden to wear non-essential items of clothing or items designed to influence the performances of a rider such as reducing air resistance or modifying the body of the rider (compression,stretching, support).

Equipment (helmets, shoes, jerseys, shorts, etc.) worn by the rider may not be adapted to serve any other purpose apart from that of clothing or safety by the addition or incorporation of mechanical or electronic systems which are not approved as technical innovations under article 1.3.004.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Been used before in races this season so not likely to be stopped at the world champs.

If the UCI are consistent at one thing, it is at being inconsistent.
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    I can't see how someone that spends 99.99% of a race 'drafting' would gain anything from a slightly more aero helmet. If he was that bothered about marginal gains he would spend slightly longer shaving his face before a race.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    RichA wrote:
    He is also wearing Radars instead of his usual Jawbones. Marginal gains?

Is anybody else finding this constant marginal gains thing a bit tedious now ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • But what if the difference between 1st and 2nd had been as close as 3rd and 4th? His skinsuit and helmet might have won him the race. Think there's a physcological benefit as well.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    But what if the difference between 1st and 2nd had been as close as 3rd and 4th? His skinsuit and helmet might have won him the race. Think there's a physcological benefit as well.

I think it must be important, judging by the leak Powerpoint slide of the plan

tumblr_ls72823b2h1qcn3m5o1_500.jpg
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    But what if the difference between 1st and 2nd had been as close as 3rd and 4th? His skinsuit and helmet might have won him the race. Think there's a physcological benefit as well.

:lol:
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    On this point
    1.3.033 It is forbidden to wear non-essential items of clothing or items designed to influence the performances of a rider such as reducing air resistance or modifying the body of the rider (compression,stretching, support).
    . the Lazer bumph says
    Lazer Sport continues its reputation in cutting edge innovation by presenting the new patented Aeroshell.

The Aeroshell is a plastic cover, designed to fit perfectly over some of the Lazer helmets. The Aeroshell snaps into place and protects the riders head from wind and rain while still allowing for some air movement under the front of the helmet and out the rear vents. The Aeroshell is unique in that it is easily removed from the helmet when riding conditions are such that additional ventilation is desired.

Snap it on when the rain is pouring down and pull it off when the sun starts to shine, the Aeroshell is the perfect tool to ride, in every possible condition.
    so the primary design purpose of these covers (whether Lazer, Specialized, Kask etc) is clearly stated as being to ensure that the rider's bonce is nice and warm and hence the covers comply with the UCI rules. :D
  • Sadly Cav is too high profile to bin on breaking the rules ... If some random Russian-lite had won and worn that there may have been an enquiry ... Given the wording of the rules it is cheating as there is obviously an aero advantage ...
  • iainf72 wrote:

They missed off "after winning, find nearest teammate for a nice hug"
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    Sadly Cav is too high profile to bin on breaking the rules ... If some random Russian-lite had won and worn that there may have been an enquiry ... Given the wording of the rules it is cheating as there is obviously an aero advantage ...
    Nope. Read it again. It says "items designed to influence the performances of a rider". The helmet cover is designed to keep the rider's head warm and dry. That is it and the manufacturer makes no other claims, Any other effect is an incidental by-product.

... and the bit about "modifying the body of the rider (compression,stretching, support)." could be applied to any bandage.... if people were daft enough to interpret (and that is what it is) the rules that way.
  • You lot will read anything you want into defending a random human being with no link to your life in the slightest ... i can only imagine you used to have posters of donny osmond/george michael/bros/spice girls (delete as age appropriate) on your walls last week ...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The kask helmets have been raced with the vents covered all year at least. I've seen plenty of normal helmets with the thermoformed plastic cover in the last few years. Its really not new.

So long as the helmet is an approved safety helmet - what's the issue ?
    Nobodys ever banned the aero helmets in tts ?
  • I guess my issue is that if the cover forms part of the helmets design and has been approved then fine, but sticking a cover on a previously approved design is bending the rules if not just plain breaking them ...

And as i mentioned way back ... 200m at 70kph into the wind it can be the difference between winning and losing ... would be interesting to test it on Fab and see if he medalled ...