S.P.O.T.Y

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited October 2011 in Pro race
In terms of having a sporting goal and dedicatedly working hard to achieve it AND also have a personality surely there can only be one winner.....can't there?
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Everyone has a personality :wink:

I don't really think things SPOTY have much value. Can anyone remember who won last year? Or the year before? Cavendish won the Worlds, why does he need to win some kind of popularity contest?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,212
    iainf72 wrote:
    Everyone has a personality :wink:

I don't really think things SPOTY have much value. Can anyone remember who won last year? Or the year before? Cavendish won the Worlds, why does he need to win some kind of popularity contest?

Because it makes fans of a niche sport feel special.

Obviously.

7/10... :P
  • He certainly has the personality.

But does he have the palmares?
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Unfortunately the unbelievable grouping of Wiggo, St Dave, G, Jezzer 'C' Hunt et all is nailed on not to get team of the year.

Strava is not Zen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    He certainly has the personality.

But does he have the palmares?

Compared to the other front runners, he's got palmares by the truck load.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Some second-rate footballer will probably win...
  • RowCycle wrote:
    Some second-rate footballer will probably win...

Or an over the hill golfer who just happened to have one good week all year.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    So at work today, the people who followed cycling chatted a bit about the worlds. People who aren't cycling fans didn't mention it.

The rugby got a lot of talk, even by the folks who aren't really into sport.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Who gives a damn? The BBC coverage of all sport is a joke, with lots of ex-players offering opinions as cosy as their casual woollens, and the Sports Personality of the Year Award has become the epitome of this whole rubbish approach.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    RowCycle wrote:

I think Cav could have a chance because the BBC actually had him on screen yesterday.
    It is the BBC SPOTY and their viewers are the people that count and so if he gets on their short list with all the SPOTY progam promotions which are repeated often.
    Then he could follow Chris Hoy & Tom Simpson.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • It's the most pointless sporting award out there imo.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    andyp wrote:
    Who gives a damn? The BBC coverage of all sport is a joke, with lots of ex-players offering opinions as cosy as their casual woollens, and the Sports d-Shoulderof the Year Award has become the epitome of this whole rubbish approach.
    I agree.
    Thats why we call it the Blah Blah Claptrap channel where idiot camermen/women are trained to focus on Head/Shoulders only
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    It's the most pointless sporting award out there imo.

Ironically there was a question on the quiz show 'pointless' today about SPOTY they had to name past female winners and the list list wasn't that great, I remembered about two and one of those was Princess Anne!!
  • I was in the audience when Zara Phillips won it; there was a spontaneous outbreak of laughter from large sections of the people there, including some of the sports people. How about the GB road team for 'team of the year'? http://twitter.com/#!/Chris_Boardman
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    iainf72 wrote:
    So at work today, the people who followed cycling chatted a bit about the worlds. People who aren't cycling fans didn't mention it.

The rugby got a lot of talk, even by the folks who aren't really into sport.

Yeah, but when it comes to voting, we'll have world champion, maillot vert Cav versus some rugby players who went to New Zealand and won f**k all, our best football team who got slaughtered by Barca, F1 drivers who can't drive around in circles quite as fast as other drivers and a couple of medallists at the athletics world championships.

So who will people vote for?
  • I hope he wins, I put £20 on him to win back in may.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    johnfinch wrote:
    So who will people vote for?

Rory McIlroy, for winning the US Open.
  • Ringo 68 wrote:
    RowCycle wrote:

Ding Ding Ding, we have our winner.
  • RichN95.
    It's the most pointless sporting award out there imo.

You've not had to sit through the Welsh Hockey Awards. No amount of free food and booze made it bearable.
  • I don't really care. The competition is completely pointless - Sports personality - who gives a f!
    It should be sporting achievement - that way it would open it up to a lot more sports. It also means you don't necessarily have had to win.

I was watching the UK Ironman race the other night, can't remember who won it but was truly humbled by an Army vet who had both legs blown off. He learnt to swim earlier this year and did the whole race. Using a recumbent style bike for the bike bit and a wheelchair for running.

Now that was truly an achievement way outside anything some poncy footballer who earns more in a week that than guy would in 10 years!
  • Rory will get it for his Open win, Cricket will bag the team prize for being slightly less sh*t than they are most years. Someone will bang on about Lewis Hamilton driving a car (they wont remind us he had one winning season and has driven like turd ever since), there will be a tribute for some dead darts player nobody heard of, Gary Lineker, Sue Barker, Denise Lewis, Colin Jackson and the Lesbian horse women/man (forgot her name now) will all feature heavily talking about what an amazing sporting year its been (has it? has it really? no, no it hasn't, it really hasnt) Alex ferguson or Wenger will probably win something, they usually do, breakthrough star will be somebody who broke through 4 years ago but the BBC only noticed while coming up with the shortlist, and Cav will most like watch all this from the comfort of his own home knowing that he is a world champion in one of the hardest sports in the universe probably not giving a monkeys. Meanwhile everyone at home watching it will talk about how crap it is or what a fix it is...

Looked at the back pages of the papers today, Cav made the Times, that was about it i think...So i only expect the same from the BBC.
  • Rory will get it for his Open win, Cricket will bag the team prize for being slightly less sh*t than they are most years. Someone will bang on about Lewis Hamilton driving a car (they wont remind us he had one winning season and has driven like turd ever since), there will be a tribute for some dead darts player nobody heard of, Gary Lineker, Sue Barker, Denise Lewis, Colin Jackson and the Lesbian horse women/man (forgot her name now) will all feature heavily talking about what an amazing sporting year its been (has it? has it really? no, no it hasn't, it really hasnt) Alex ferguson or Wenger will probably win something, they usually do, breakthrough star will be somebody who broke through 4 years ago but the BBC only noticed while coming up with the shortlist, and Cav will most like watch all this from the comfort of his own home knowing that he is a world champion in one of the hardest sports in the universe probably not giving a monkeys. Meanwhile everyone at home watching it will talk about how crap it is or what a fix it is...

Looked at the back pages of the papers today, Cav made the Times, that was about it i think...So i only expect the same from the BBC.

Correct sport but it will be that other Northern Irishman that wins.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Main picture on the back of the metro, was pleasantly surprised.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I don't see the point of the award except to please minority sports who can see "one of theirs" getting some limelight and recognition.

But can you imagine anyone training harder because of this award? The guy is world champion and that's so much bigger than a Christmas telly show and a phone vote.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I know people mock the SPOTY award but when you look at the list of winners it has been packed full of sporting greats over the years. Not many footballers too which is refreshing.

Last 30:

Tony McCoy
    Ryan Giggs
    Chris Hoy
    Joe Calzaghe
    Zara Phillips
    Andrew Flintoff
    Kelly Holmes
    Jonny Wilkinson
    Paula Radcliffe
    David Beckham
    Steve Redgrave
    Lennox Lewis
    Michael Owen
    Greg Rusedski
    Damon Hill
    Linford Christie
    Nigel Mansell
    Liz McColgan
    Paul Gascoine
    Nick Faldo
    Steve davis
    Fatima Whitbread
    Nigel Mansell
    Barry McGuigan
    Torvill & Dean
    Steve Cram
    Daley Thompson
    Ian Botham
    Robin Cousins
    Sebastian Coe

Only Zara Philips and Ryan Giggs look really odd on that list and Giggs only looks odd cos it was for him a totally mediocre season. Ahh, one more. WTF is Greg Rusedski doing on there.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Greg Rusedski, Jesus that must have been a sh*t year for sport...
  • RichN95.
    Greg Rusedski, Jesus that must have been a sh*t year for sport...

It's seems that in second place that year was Tim Henman. Did other sports just go on strike or something?
  • RichN95 wrote:

It's seems that in second place that year was Tim Henman.

Typical Henman, another missed opportunity.
  • Greg Rusedski, Jesus that must have been a sh*t year for sport...

1997 and putting my sporting anorak on i think thats the year he got to the final of the U.S Open.

But yeah if runner up at the U.S Open gets you a win it must have been a poor year for British Sport.
  • Steve Davis?

Sport? Personality?