Deep, Dark, Depression Time......

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited September 2011 in Pro race
So thats it then, only really the Giro di Lombardia left. What the hell am i going to do with my life now?

What do you lot entertain yourselves with in the off season?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    So thats it then, only really the Giro di Lombardia left. What the hell am i going to do with my life now?

No no., there is the Tour of Beijing too.

And the spirit crushing dullness of Paris-Tours.

And the Japan Cup.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:

No no., there is the Tour of Beijing too.

And the spirit crushing dullness of Paris-Tours.

And the Japan Cup.

Oh Yes. How could i forget :cry:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Watch reruns of the tour stages I have kept on my Virgin plus whilst on the turbo.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Watch reruns of the tour stages I have kept on my Virgin plus whilst on the turbo.

Great Idea, except im to poor to buy a Turbo :cry:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Watch cyclocross. Most of the big races are streamed on the web and it's normally an hour packed full of incident and quality racing.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    You could watch football or the x factor.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,241
    If I can be arsed, finding out how good PTPers are at predicting winners.
  • Whisper it quietly but sometimes at weekends in the winter I lie in and make love to my beautiful finacee.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Excellent work Mr Fingers!
    Dare I suggest....mountain biking? You're going to be cold and covered in mud anyway and it keeps the legs ticking over
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Whisper it quietly but sometimes at weekends in the winter I lie in and make love to my beautiful finacee.

After this weekend, will you be doing a "David Mellor" and wearing a Cav replica rainbow jersey for the occasion?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • oodboo wrote:
    You could watch football or the x factor.

or if either of the above options sound too painful to you you could hack off your own testicles with a teaspoon.
  • Cyclocross? it's how it was invented, French riders taking their clunkers off-road in the autumn/winter time.
  • LangerDan wrote:
    Whisper it quietly but sometimes at weekends in the winter I lie in and make love to my beautiful finacee.

After this weekend, will you be doing a "David Mellor" and wearing a Cav replica rainbow jersey for the occasion?

It's funny you say that, my Mrs was saying this morning that she wonders whether Cav is going to wear his rainbow jersey in bed with Peta (she has a strange little thing for Cav).
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    LangerDan wrote:

It's funny you say that, my Mrs was saying this morning that she wonders whether Cav is going to wear his rainbow jersey in bed with Peta (she has a strange little thing for Cav).

All very well until until Cav turns on the light mid-way through proceedings and sees he's third in line behind Froome and Wiggo.

PS - Your Mrs - does she know about your "beautiful fiancée"?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Faced with this problem I decided to start watching and getting into World cup alpine ski racing.
    Cracking scenery, exiting racing and admiration for heroes with balls of steel. Nothing to do with close ups of women racers butts in skinsuits!!

By mid January I was loving the mens downhill at Kitzbuhel n vowing to go there to experience it one day!!

Made the "off season" more bearable.

Also fairly "sound off friendly" for turbo sessions with pumping tunes on!
  • What do you lot entertain yourselves with in the off season?

Speculate about next year's races!

:D
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    So has anyone considered actually going out cycling? Just a suggestion, like
  • rick_chasey
    bompington wrote:

Woah Woah.

This is pro-race.

Being able to cycle, let alone getting on a bike, is by no means a pre-requisite.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    bompington wrote:

Woah Woah.

This is pro-race.

Being able to cycle, let alone getting on a bike, is by no means a pre-requisite.
    Definitely the impression I've been left with on more than a few occasions
  • rick_chasey
    bompington wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Woah Woah.

This is pro-race.

It's no bad thing anyway!

Belgium's best commentator and pundit spends his spare time running, and doesn't cycle much.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    bompington wrote:

Some posters are practically allergic to bikes in real life
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LangerDan wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

All very well until until Cav turns on the light mid-way through proceedings and sees he's third in line behind Froome and Wiggo.

PS - Your Mrs - does she know about your "beautiful fiancée"?

Ha Ha, you're on the ball! Luckily they are one and the same (wouldn't have the energy for two :wink: ). We are getting married next year but I tend to use the colloquial "Mrs" as the "girlfriend" suggests you've been together for a month rather than 5 years and "partner" is how I refer to my co-director at work, not the person I love!
  • bompington wrote:

Yeah, problem is though, its easy to get up for the commute and the sunday run during the season, because an hour in front of eurosport the night before provides the inspiration needed. I do still try and commute and ride as much as possible in the winter, but the lack of racing on TV only serves to help the horrific weather, dark nights/mornings, increase in punctures, frostbite etc etc etc keep me in bed, then i inevitably get up anyway and wish i'd MTFU and just ride anyway. Plus that i hate the winter disease disorder thingy majiggy is deffinately something i get.

Who the hell invented close season anyway?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    bompington wrote:

Who the hell invented close season anyway?

I know, what's the southern hemisphere for exactly. Surely now it's time for the spring classics. Hell of Tasmania etc...

Methinks Fat Pat is missing a trick there.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Time to catch up on the autobiographies, DVD's - Hell on Wheels, Chasing Ledgends etc. But MTB rocks at this time of year.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Plenty of Cyclocross to enjoy on Sporza.be

I'm a big winter biathlon fan too - far more interesting from a 'race' perspective than the pot-head Alpine ski-ing crowd and the wimmin are fitter too :wink:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • There is of course the Revolution series about to start (think it is being televised too this year - above the highlights they put on Channel M); then of course there are all the 'who is riding for who' stories to be concluded; morning commutes like today's remind you of the Alps (well they do in Peak District land) all it needed was a commentary by Sean and it would have been perfect; all that winter bike fettling to be done; fat tyres needing to get muddy; and a stack of books to be read.
  • There is of course the Revolution series about to start (think it is being televised too this year - above the highlights they put on Channel M); then of course there are all the 'who is riding for who' stories to be concluded; morning commutes like today's remind you of the Alps (well they do in Peak District land) all it needed was a commentary by Sean and it would have been perfect; all that winter bike fettling to be done; fat tyres needing to get muddy; and a stack of books to be read.

My Morning commute doesn't quite look like the Peak's, however must admit really enjoyed it this morning in the fog, mist on my face and all that, i like the early light before real daylight takes over, something serene about it.

I don't have a winterbike, my summerbike in reality is a winterbike (pile of crap) and ive been tinkering with it ever since Halfords built it (incorrectly)

You will have to educate me about the Revolution series though?!...
  • http://www.cyclingrevolution.com/conten ... lt_gb.aspx

£15 for a good night of track racing. 'Stars' interspersed with the up and coming juniors (many now winning medals at worlds level). Few beers, kebab (or not) on the way home. Recommended. (If you fancy going you'll have to be quick they sell out rather quickly)

Beautiful crisp morning in The Peak today, perfect blue sky. Winter bike? Nope just one bike - but I do have winter wheels (to cope with snow/ice but mainly a salt and grit on the road)