World Champion

ALaPlage
ALaPlage Posts: 732
edited October 2011 in Pro race
Just wanted to say a tremendous and fantastic well done to the British Mens team in the Worlds today and of course to Cavendish who finished the race superbly to take the gold medal and title.

The team were left to control the race with the Australians and Germans thinking they could sit pretty and steal it at the end but it wasn't to be. Apart from the Italians having a little push it was all down to the British team. Wiggo was superb to the end and I thought Froome, Millar and Cummings played a major role. G lost his way a little at the end but it was interesting to see that Cav didn;t need a lead out train as so many Cav Bashers seem to think he is nothing without one.

Just delighted with the performance of the whole team and an exciting finish to a good race.

Just great to see the Brits doing so well and note one Mr Cavendish interviewed directly after the finish saying "We did it". A great British Champion. Brilliant.
Trek Madone 5.9
Kinesis Crosslight T4

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Get in! What a day!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Truly a dominant win by GB. Despite the world over knowing the sole tactic for at least a year, everyone else was powerless to stop them.

To quote Muhammad Ali, not only did they knock them out but they picked the round.

So chuffed!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Screamed the house down for those last few hundred metres and have to admit to a few tears in my eyes at the end (old softie that I am).

Bloody marvellous guys - so proud of everyone of you.

Cav - you are a legend.

World Champion! Sounds great, doesn't it?
  • ALaPlage wrote:
    Just wanted to say a tremendous and fantastic well done to the British Mens team in the Worlds today and of course to Cavendish who finished the race superbly to take the gold medal and title.

The team were left to control the race with the Australians and Germans thinking they could sit pretty and steal it at the end but it wasn't to be. Apart from the Italians having a little push it was all down to the British team. Wiggo was superb to the end and I thought Froome, Millar and Cummings played a major role. G lost his way a little at the end but it was interesting to see that Cav didn;t need a lead out train as so many Cav Bashers seem to think he is nothing without one.

Just delighted with the performance of the whole team and an exciting finish to a good race.

Just great to see the Brits doing so well and note one Mr Cavendish interviewed directly after the finish saying "We did it". A great British Champion. Brilliant.
    Bertie did quite a large turn and pulled back a couple of minutes on the break, also the norwegians did a bit.
    At the end Stallard went through a tight space with G on his wheel and Cav on G's wheel but someone in Green baulked Cav so he was not on his wheel but that was still a fair way from the line. Cav had a chance to move up after that bend but as he siad in interview he chose to stay back a little and went on Goss's wheel, good wheel to choose :D
    Was very impressed with the strength of the GB team that is strongest team GB ever had, like Cav said it was today or possibly not for a long time so a lot of pressure on whole team.
    Great ride.
    Also very impressed with Lucy Garner's ride, she had a crash and had to get back on alone and still tiemed her finish to perfection. Very impressive.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Screamed the house down for those last few hundred metres and have to admit to a few tears in my eyes at the end (old softie that I am).

Bloody marvellous guys - so proud of everyone of you.

Cav - you are a legend.

World Champion! Sounds great, doesn't it?

+1 exactly what I was doing.... honestly thought they'd lost it with that last corner and then BAM !
    Take that world...Brits are properly on form :D
  • what a truly brillant result, we have had to wait 46 long years for this to arrive and judging by the young riders coming thru we wont have to wait another 46 .
    a great team effort all round , and how nice to for the rainbow jersey to come back to these shores :D
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Proud to be British today, what an show of dominence and self belief by team GB, it was truely a complete team effort, Cav did his job and we take home the Rainbow stripes.

All of Team GB did amazingly well today, Frome for his massive turns on the front, Stannard for acting like a bodyguard in the final lap for Cav, GT for looking after Cav throughout the race, Miller and Brad for sitting on the front and keeping the pace so high nobody could escape, the whole team for doing what can only be described as utterly profressional.

I usually dont get emotional over stuff, but I too had a tear in my eye and was shaking with excitement at the finish. 8) :oops:

I bet the boys are getting totally fcuking wasted tonight, CHAPEAU lads!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime

So is cycling a real sport in the UK now ?

I thought he'd blown it , I still don't know where he came from to win that

Not bad for a fat lad
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Amazing medal tally, and brilliant performances in every category (just look at CW's medal table).

It's going to be quite some thing seeing Cavendish in that jersey all next season.
    JesseD wrote:
    I bet the boys are getting totally fcuking wasted tonight, CHAPEAU lads!
    Yes, looks like they have already started :
    "I think Mario our swanny knew we would win today... 6th bottle of champers and counting!!"
    http://twitter.com/GeraintThomas86/stat ... 6352212992

:D
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Brilliant ride by all accounts as sadly I've not seen any of it yet.
    Has definitely been a stellar year for the lad. What next for him then? Olympics? Track or road? How about another crack at all 3 GT's?
    And whilst we are all celebrating, let's not forget Lucy Garner too. Another British world champ! #cav4SPOTY #lucy4SPOTY
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I was at work for the event and was relying on BBC News on my phone for the result. When it came in I couldn't decide if I was more happy that 'we' won or that I took Ladbrokes for 5/1 by backing Cav. As it happens, I reckon I'd be this happy no matter which Brit won and I found the fiver I staked in the first place anyway.

Great result to cap a brilliant year for British cycling overall.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,675
    Brilliant result, all of the team should be proud of their efforts.

Can't wait to see a Brit sporting the rainbow jersey in the peloton next year!
  • It was one of the most exciting moments I've seen in almost 40 years of watching sport. With about two kilometres to go I was so tense I had to stand up and cheer them on as if I was there by the roadside... then, as Cav somehow got out of that box and went for it I was literally screaming at the telly... as he crossed the line I just sank to my knees and yelled "Yes!" until my voice went hoarse.

Un-fucking-believable!

Cavendish is a legitimate sporting hero, a true champion and an inspiration to all.

Oh, and £20 at 11/1 with Unibet was a nice touch too...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • "At the start of the season I said I had two goals: the green jersey and the rainbow stripes"

Both ticked off... that's pretty lofty ambitions to achieve! Chapeau, Cav.
  • mouth
    Furthermore, I've just seen the interview with Him (I know the big H is normally reserved for God, but I'n not religious so Cav'll have to do) and he's just so humble about it all. It's never just him that won the race but he's always always all over the team making sure they get their mention as well. He might be cocky, but he certainly knows his place. If I were a team mate of his I'd know that I could bust my ring for Him (there it is again....) and I would actually be publicly thanked rather than forgotten about.

One thing though, just what was that helmet all about? Is it some aero thing?
  • mouth
    edited September 2011
    Sorry, double post!!
  • Mouth wrote:

One thing though, just what was that helmet all about? Is it some aero thing?

Yup aero benefit. Marginal gains and all that. You can knock it but hey - who da world champ :D
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • zebra67
    zebra67 Posts: 113
    Cav all over Radio 5 Live this morning; R5 are even talking up cycling as a TEAM sport.
  • zebra67
    zebra67 Posts: 113
    ps: did anyone else just notice that BikeRadar is stamping our posts with GMT? Why not BST?
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    zebra67 wrote:
    Cav all over Radio 5 Live this morning; R5 are even talking up cycling as a TEAM sport.
    thats as maybe, but on the ITV news last night this was the 4th rated sports topic behind a West Ham own goal, some Orish Rugby team, and losing some unimportant cricket ODI

when will the UK media wake up to the scale of this achievement?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Woken today still with a massive grin!

Oh and some great Tweets coming out of the British camp this morning.
  • Corney, where are you? :D
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Corney, where are you? :D

to be fair to him he was on the spoiler thread with a statement of congratulations and said he/GB deserved it.
  • camerone wrote:

to be fair to him he was on the spoiler thread with a statement of congratulations and said he/GB deserved it.

it's still going to drive him mad next year to hear "World Champion Mark Cavendish" so often, and to see him in the hoops :D

Well done GB and Cav
  • camerone wrote:

I'm going to have to come clean and say I hadn't read that and that I owe him an apology for, sure enough, there was a very, very complimentary statement on that thread from the aforementioned poster. Fair play.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mouth
    Wiggo's tweet this morning made me laugh:

"Balls. Sore head. Missed my flight".

Think we can probably let him off just this once. I reckon if I'd been part of yesterday I'd have been shi****** as well.

Great Worlds by the GB setup.Am I right in saying that the only event we didn't medal was the womens RR where we were just unlucky I think?

Just a side point though, Lucy Garner? Oh yeah!!
  • Very proud of the team and Cav's finish shows that he is a class act indeed.

On a US cycling forum there are some snivelling whiners moaning about the win but they really are being jerks...who can criticise a performance like Team GB's?
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I think Corney will be back to normal the moment Cav loses and sprint :P
  • Cav won the Worlds and I must admit that I shed a tear of pride. I was even more impressed when I saw that he's also managed to bag himself this gorgeous looking trophy:

http://www.fhm.com/girls/covergirls/peta-todd

Scha-wing!
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Congrats to Cav, my daughter thinks he's gorgeous (and she's french!!).

I don't think enough credit is being given to David Millar. As team captain he was effectively DS in the absence of radio and he did brilliantly in keeping the whole plot together when it could have so easily come apart. Another sign of the maturity of this team. A great pity that he has to stay outside the Sky setup but there's a potentially excellent DS in the making for someone (like Garmin in a couple of years time; perhaps that's why he has his shares in the team).