goodridge hoses? worth it

2»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    supersonic wrote:
    More flexible hoses can require a higher brake lever force for a given force at the pads. But given as the difference in mtb hoses is negligible, then I would not consider these an upgrade.
    I got the post removed for calling it the B word, so perhaps 'totally incorrect' will get past the Stazi, the pressure of the fluid at each end of the hose will be the same (reoving any transient effect) so no loss of power through expanding hoses, it's an oft repeated mistake made by many that should no a lot better.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That is correct ;-). When the system is not moving, the pressure in the system is the same for a given force on the master piston. However as the piston is connected to a lever, and some brakes alter the leverage through the travel (some wooden feeling brakes reduce mechanical advantage later in their travel), and the lever has more throw due to the expansion of the system, you can end up needing to apply more lever force to get the desired pressure in the system. Note I said 'lever force' in my original statement, not force on the master piston.
  • The Rookie
    edited September 2011
    So say some systems and explain it, too often people spout the flexible hoses = loss of power BS!

The variable leverage ratio ones (or at least the one set I've come across, can't recall the make/model) tend to INCREASE advantage with travel, thus flexible hoses would increase force at the piston for a given lever pull force, they use a low advantage in the initial pull to close the pads onto the disc faster.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    Yes, modern ones like Shimano do (servowave), but some like Hayes (especially older ones) tend to do the opposite! In modern hoses I have not detected much difference in steel braid or standard stuff, so as I originally said, is going to be negligible for most. Brakes have moved on quite a bit in the last 3 or 4 years with most models now having good lever designs with decent adjustabilty for bite and reach that actually work. Is only in the last two or three years that I have started to be impressed by discs! Some were ruddy awful lol.
  • The Rookie
    supersonic wrote:
    More flexible hoses can require a higher brake lever force for a given force at the pads. But given as the difference in mtb hoses is negligible, then I would not consider these an upgrade.
    So...More flexible hoses can require a LOWER brake lever force for a given force at the pads then.......

Simon
  • supersonic
    Indeed they can! But with a combo of increasing mechanical advantage and increasing volume in the system, you'll probably pull back to the bars before you get there.

Is a lot of ifs and buts - most sytems nowadays are designed nowadays around very low expansion.