Which cube to buy for up to £1000

kammybear
kammybear Posts: 500
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
I'm not happy with my Specialized Hardrock Disc, I have no confidence in it and it slips and slides all over the place on the red routes at Cannock Chase. I know I'm a beginner but know I can blame my bike as I swapped bikes with my gf and she had the same problems while I sailed it on her GT Avvy 2.0.

I've been told its because of the shit Suntour fork and shitty mechanical brakes. I need a new beast for next year on C2W but towards £1000 I can't see much difference between the ones around 700-1000.

For red routes and maybe one day black, is it worth going for an LTD or maybe an Acid/Attention?

I don't want to make the same mistake again!

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Polished rock at Cannock can make things interesting, perhaps its your tyres fitted?

Does the bike slip and slide elsewhere?
  • Slipping & sliding sounds like tyres/tyre pressure. I was having the same problem over here

Gotta pressure gauge and started playing around with different tyre pressures which helped a bit and then got some different tyres - feels like a new bike now!

gravel/stoney corners where I would completely wash out I can now take much faster and when I do over do it things just get a little twitchy at the back rather than what was happening before which was my front tyre completely losing traction
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    try playing around with tyre pressures, change your tyres , work on technique . The bike you have will eat up the trails you are riding :lol:
  • I'm going for the "all the gear, no idea" angle.

Girlfriend is a bad influenced and forced me down the shops. Tomorrow I'll have a 2012 black and red A Team style Cube Attention!

The hardrock is off to ebay!
  • Oh, the bike was all over the place even in Sutton Park of all places!

Thinking back, maybe it was the tires!
  • kammybear wrote:
    I'm going for the "all the gear, no idea" angle.

Girlfriend is a bad influenced and forced me down the shops. Tomorrow I'll have a 2012 black and red A Team style Cube Attention!

The hardrock is off to ebay!

nice! :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lol

Bit like cracking a nut with a sledge hammer, loved the HR till I saw a cube and knew I wanted one! Really soured the ownership but that's all over now!
  • Cubes offer really good spec for the money... xc mtb ideal for bridlepaths, fields, uk trails like cannock...
    Im not biased or anything but my sig below mmm.
    MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • Cubes are great bikes owned an Acid but I had to do some major upgrades (inc new for to make it useful for black routes).

They are XC machines not AM bikes.

Maybe good for a harder hitting hard tail lwith more travel like a Voodoo, Boardman, Genisis Core or Saracen Zen
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    A mate has a new Cube Acid, it looks really nice in grey and green, i am not so convinced on the quality though, i think he was missold it by the bike shop he used, he does not know so much about MTB these days, and basically walked into the shop asking for something to equal the spec of my Boardman Pro and was sold the Acid, he has ridden it around 5 times and has already replaced/upgraded the back wheel as it collapsed when he tried to skid around a corner at high speed :lol:

This is his wheel at Hamsterly forest around 7 weeks ago. :D

IMG_20110814_111403.jpg

Long story though, involving a comedy high speed crash by me a few seconds before (dislocated shoulder) and him attempting to avoid the same fate, but his rear wheel was having none of it :lol:

I think he paid around £800 for it ?
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • Hey guys, collecting tomorrow, so will post pictures.

I'm not going to be pushing it too hard so got no worries there lol