CF tubular rims, china VS ebay

Kaves
Kaves Posts: 3
edited September 2011 in Amateur race
I have a winter project going, building a pair of tubular wheels with some friends. lightweight stiff and dependable. what Ive already have choosen is a pair of DT Swiss 180 hubs, aerolite spokes & Schwalbe ultremo HT tires. What I aim for in my build is sub 1600g with tyres, hopefully alot less. with tyres weghing 230g and hubs 105+183g that leaves 852g for rims and spokes. what i want is a 35-55mm CF rim. china or ebay i have no expreience from at all. pls i need help with a some good advice towards some awesome wheels

Comments

• I bought some 50mm chinese carbon tubulars from an ebay seller and built them up with no problems at all, they'd push your weight limit though, mine came in at 800g for the two rims which built into a 1420g wheelset using planet-x hubs and Sapim spokes - wouldn't hesitate to order again.

exercise.png
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    How about these 20mm rims from Planet X? I know you said you wanted 35-55mm rims, but if you're focussed on weight then these are at least worth considering, especially since they only weigh 250g and cost £79.99 each.
    More problems but still living....
  • Ho much do you weigh - as this should be influencing your decisions on the wheelbuild.
    Strada Hand Built Wheels
    www.stradawheels.co.uk
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's a thread over on weightweenies about 1000g wheels for $1000 - it can nearly be done. Dependability will depend a lot on your skill as a wheelbuilder - if you've never built wheels before, low spoke count carbon rims aren't a good place to start as even tension is far more critical.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..