Canyon Nerve (1500) or a used bike (700) for beginner ??

vim147
vim147 Posts: 120
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
I need help in deciding if i should spend 1500 on a canyon nerve xc/am or buy a used bike for half that amount as i am a beginner.

I haven't owned a bike in 20 yrs so my riding has just been excursion trips when on holiday, mainly riding around in a hard tail.

i like riding around for the scenery mainly and not so much of the thrill of jumping 5ft in the air etc.

there don't seem to be any second hand canyon bikes going so was thinking of,

specialized fsr
giant anthem/trance
trek fuel ex8

would 120mm travel be enough ?

Also would like to take the bike to swiss alps and austria. not looking to climb/jump over big rocks but using single tracks there on the tourist trail.

I've got until next summer to get a bike. Under 13kg would be nice.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How mechanically competant are you? Used bikes can need some work, plus you have no warranty.

Why not a new £700 bike? You don't NEED full suspension.
  • supersonic wrote:
    How mechanically competant are you? Used bikes can need some work, plus you have no warranty.

+1

Also Canyon are sold out for 2011 stock I believe.
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • vim147
    supersonic wrote:

Ive considered a hard tail but i dont want to buy a bike then find i want more out if it. Rather get it right the 1st time.
  • supersonic
    Hmmm, but full suss doesn't always give you 'more'. Well apart from weight, pedal kickback and bobbing ;-)

I think you need to test a few bikes to get a feel.
  • well I've got a Canyon XC7 and it's loads more fun to ride than my old giant XTC hard tail and it's got hardly any pedal bob and when locked out climbs way better than my old HT on or off road
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC7 viewtopic.php?t=12765275
  • supersonic
    Which is why testing is a good idea ;-)
  • vim147
    supersonic wrote:
    Hmmm, but full suss doesn't always give you 'more'. Well apart from weight, pedal kickback and bobbing ;-)

I think you need to test a few bikes to get a feel.

Dont you think a full suspension would be better as an all rounder, bearing in mind i'd like to take it to swiss alps/austria (nothing too technical though)

I dont really want to spend £1500 if i dont have to which is why i was looking at a second hand one.
  • supersonic
    It depends on the rider - some prefer full suspension, some prefer hardtails. And is fair to say that full suspension designs vary significantly.
  • I've been riding my hardtail in the Alps all summer, XC, single track, DH, bike parks - everything. Great fun - no problems

Anyway - I think you'd be better off on a higher spec, lighter HT with all the high altitude climbing that you're gonna be doing!

Unless you're coming over for the downhill and then obviously a full suss AM bike is gonna be more fun as you can go faster!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ive just bought a commencal meta 5.5 (2007) for £700 as i was debating between used and new too. Think ive made the right choice although the bike did need about £150 spending on it and might need new forks at some point. But even then it will only be about 1k and a top bike which would be 1400-1500 new.
    Current hack: Commencal Meta 5.5.3
  • vim147
    I've been riding my hardtail in the Alps all summer, XC, single track, DH, bike parks - everything. Great fun - no problems

Anyway - I think you'd be better off on a higher spec, lighter HT with all the high altitude climbing that you're gonna be doing!

Unless you're coming over for the downhill and then obviously a full suss AM bike is gonna be more fun as you can go faster!

What type of spec hard tail were you using inn the alps ?

what type of trails were it ? Am thinking of maybe getting a boardman ht now.
  • vim147 wrote:
    I've been riding my hardtail in the Alps all summer, XC, single track, DH, bike parks - everything. Great fun - no problems

What type of spec hard tail were you using inn the alps ?

what type of trails were it ? Am thinking of maybe getting a boardman ht now.

I'm riding my trusty upgraded 2006 Rockhopper Disc which I got off eBay for £300 a couple of years ago

It had been sitting in the shed until we moved out here and I've been (ab)using it ever since. Mainly XC, singletrack & long descents with some DH & North Shore thrown in at the weekends

All the lifts are closed for the season now so just honing my skills on the twisty stuff

We get next summers lift pass thrown in with this winters so buying a DH bike for that but the Rockhopper will be doing the rest

I've tested a couple of AM full suss bikes which were bundles of fun - impossible to say which I prefer but while I'm getting to grips with this new addiction I don't need anything more than the 'hopper - especially now I've got some good tyres and a £300 fork to put on next week :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8