which full suss, 314 or ex8 ???

steve46
steve46 Posts: 31
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, after a recent trip, twice, round Dalby forests red route on my cube ltd team hardtail, and the resulting 3 weeks of lower back ache (old inj) I've now finally given in and decided on a full suspension bike, I'm particularly keen on Lapierre's 314 but have also taken a bit of a shine to the trek fuel ex8, just curious if anyone can offer any advice on either of these or perhaps something else, 2k is my absolute max (well that's what I've negotiated with the wife anyway :wink: ) cheers.

Comments

• popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Depends on your riding style. Zesty is a good hooligan bike while Fuel EX is trail center beast. IMHO go for the bestest looking then, you won't go wrong with either.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Two great bikes, I would not choose on looks !! I would choose on value and how the bike fits. The Zesty is 140mm and the EX 120mm, however the Trek delivers its travel very well and actually appears bottomless...spec wise the EX pips the zesty...the DRCV valve is a great idea and with propedal wil be way more effective than the zesty can...XT cranks are a bonus and the fact that it was trail bike of the year last year is the reason I would buy it over the zesty...a few of my mates have them and love them to bits !

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-42468/
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • The 2012 EX7 comes with now comes with DRCV shock as standard for 2k. The EX8 comes with full XT, DRCV front shock and 15mm thru axle for poss 2300.
    Im stuck at the moment. Do I go with 1900 for 2011 EX8 or spend that extra and go 2012?
  • Pudseyp
    I believe the 2012 has a slightlt slacker head angle which will be a tad better on the decents, the new DRCV forks should be a bonus plus a slightly new look with internal cable routing will make for a neat package.....I also prefer shimano brakes...is it worth the £400 difference ? I would take the 2012
  • hoots
    hoots Posts: 134
    Well, I can't comment on the 2012 bikes, but have experience of the 2010 and 2011 Zesty and EX8.

I used to have a 2010 EX8 and my wife currently has a 2010 Zesty 214. I sold my EX8 and got a 2011 Zesty 514 (which if you want a bargain, I am now having to sell as one of my main clients has postponed a large project that myself and loads of other subcontractors were banking on for a few months income :cry: )

OK, IMO the EX8 is a very good all-rounder, but always seemed to lack a bit of character. I also found that, compared to my wifes Zesty, it always felt a bit dead and 'sloggy' on climbs (even with the ProPedal on). It was fine on descents, but lacked that extra bit of 'oops...took the wrong line' safety margin that the Zesty has. Like the Zesty, I found the EX definately preferred and was more rewarding to pilot through, rather than over, things - but importantly, the Zesty feels far more capable if you do start hitting rough/loose rocky stuff fast.

The Zestys are just bloomin' awesome - and with its carbon back end, my 514 would absolutely tear the a**e off an EX8 on the climbs AND leave it for dust downhill! I have even tested the climbing ability of the Zesty against a friends Anthem X race bike. We both rode the same toughish techy climb on both bikes and expected the Anthem to fly up - but even though the Anthem was at least 1.5kg lighter and had a Small Block 8 tyre on the back, it still wasn't as quick and easy up the climb as the Zesty in 'all mountain' sag setting and Minion tyres at 20psi!! It really is as good as the reviews - it almost feels like you're cheating :D

To me, the Zesty is almost a split personality bike, it has quite a perky XC-ey feel, but then has the capability to absolutely fly downhill at proper eye-watering speeds in total confidence.

Anyway, I'll stop blatherin' on. If you are interested in my nearly new 514, I have an advert in the classifieds section - or just drop me a PM.

Cheers.
  • Get a test ride. I tried the Fuel EX9.9 and thought it was terrible but other people really like them. Personally I would buy a Giant Trance X over either of these
  • Zesty!
    Lapierre Zesty 314
    Spesh Allez Comp
    Kona Firemountain
    Poo Poo, Wee Wee
  • Pudseyp
    ewallsuk wrote:
    Zesty!

Wrong...the EX8 is a better bike.... :wink: