Which Full Sus?

astormatt
astormatt Posts: 79
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I have been looking at getting a full sus for general riding with a few marathons and xc races thrown in.
I did have a look at an Anthem or Camber but after thinking about it, thought they were going to be too XC focused and i want a longer travel (130/140mm) bike as i am quite an aggressive rider being into DH mainly.
I have chosen 2 bikes but just spotted the new 2012 Lappiere 314 which comes in the top end of my budget (£2300)
The 2 i have shortlisted are

http://www.cube.eu/en/full/hpa/stereo-race/

and the

http://www.cube.eu/en/full/pro/ams-130-sl/

or 2012 Lappiere 314

http://www.welovelapierre.com/736/2844/ ... y-314-2012

I am not totally sold on a Cube they just have a lot better spec for the money than the competition.
I have had a play on both cubes and they felt nice and i like both, i have not had a look at the 314 in the flesh as i dont think my lbs have the 2012 in stock yet.
So if it were your money which bike would you spend it on?

Cheers Matt

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you have tested the Cube, like it, then go for it. As you say has the better spec! The AMS would suit the trail riding/marathon/race aspect very well. Not for DH though.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Not for DH though.

I will still have my Stinky for DH, thanks Super i was swaying toward the AMS.
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    The stereo is awesome. I use mine as a slack trail / XC bike and love it.

PM me if you want any specific info. The detail and frame is amazing - get the mud board thrown in!
  • Stereo is pretty good. Have a look at the Rose Granite Chief, Saracen Ariel 140 & Giant Trance X as well.
    Suspension travel counts for less than you would think, the 125mm travel Trance is a beast for trail centre riding & takes harder riding better than you would expect.
  • The only thing about the ams is that I found it was really geared for xc and was pretty crap on any descents with roots/rocks and all the other fun descents. I think it was due to the geometry, I have a camber which is far less xc than the ams.

I have ridden the stereo which was brilliant, but not sure it would be the easiest for a marathon.
  • Cheers for the replies guys, i completely forgot about the Rose and Saracen, that has thrown a spanner in the works now. The Trance is a nice bike but my mate has one so dont fancy the same.
    I do prefer the Stereo if i am honest, but it felt quite upright compared to the AMS and that is why i was sort of going for that, but its all in the stem length, which can easily be changed as Cubes seem to come up slightly short in the top tube department.
    The 2012 Stereo is not until December according to Cube so i have some time to have another look around and see what is about.
    I think i have to make the decision, climb well, ok decending or climb ok, decend well, i have never done so much research and thinking about anything in my life before its really doing my head in :(
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Marin Mount Vision XM8 or Trek EX8 is worth a look...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !