Women's Elite RR - Spoiler, probably, eventually.

OffTheBackAdam
OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
edited October 2011 in Pro race
Looks as if it'll be a bunch sprint, like the U23's.
Pooley's active at the front, too active?
Lizzie Armistead's being well-protected.
OffTheBack reckons that you should go to the pub, have a couple of pints & pop back in and hour or so.
Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.

Comments

• Pleasant club run... when does the race start?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,231
    Some club!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Oh dear, when even Eurosport agrees that this is going to be a boring race with a bunch sprint, you know it's time to go out to the garden.
    (and I love bunch sprints.)
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Love the way the girl on commentary is getting feisty the more that Dave and Sean keep moaning about the lack of action... of course she has a point, but i think she's really off the mark when she dismisses the importance of animating races for the public...
  • the local under 14 crit races are more exciting than this
  • Sounds like it's kicking off at last!
  • Moomaloid wrote:
    Love the way the girl on commentary is getting feisty the more that Dave and Sean keep moaning about the lack of action... of course she has a point, but i think she's really off the mark when she dismisses the importance of animating races for the public...

Who is the female commentator?
  • Moomaloid wrote:

Emma Trott, big sister to Laura, one of the track team pursuit world champs.

Any chance of some polish being applied to this turd in the last 30km?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I love Copenhagen but this is a seriously lame course
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Calling all in from the garden, bunch sprint is on.................
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited September 2011
    Vos is so annoyed at that 2nd – her fifth in a row!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Absolutely rank
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Crap race, crap sprint.

Do we reckon that tomorrow will be a bunch sprint? Hushovd should love that finish!
  • LangerDan
    How come Russ Downing won?
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Is that Bronzini or is it Ricardo Ricco ???? :D
  • first and last womens race I watch
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • LangerDan
    Moomaloid wrote:

Emma Trott, big sister to Laura, one of the track team pursuit world champs.

As they signed off, Harmon told her that "it was nice to have her in the box" :shock:
  • The course has lived down to expectations.
    A woeful race, from start to finish.
    All teams had the same goal: do nothing, sit in a bunch until the last 300 metres and see who can go the fastest.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • LangerDan
    I think tomorrow will go to whoever is prepared to lose. From what I could see of it, the Italians were prepared to wait it out today until the Dutch eventually cracked and started driving the chase of Hughes. Bronzini already has her worlds title so she was prepared to gamble whereas I think Vos panicked.

I wonder if the likes of Freire and Hushovd might adopt a similar approach tomorrow? The course itself is less selective than even Zolder.
  • Tusher
    What a woeful ad for women's racing.
  • But no worse than the Men's U23?
    I must say, apart from the Cannuck on the last couple of laps, there were no real attempts at getting away.
    You'd think some of the nations who lacked a real sprinter, would've had a go.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • It's up to the teams to make it selective. If the pace today had gone up earlier perhaps the finale wouldn't have been so edgy, though I think Vos's only mistake this time was to wait too long behind her team-mate who was beginning to struggle while the Italians sneaked past close to the barriers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UWA#t=695s

So she got start of her sprint wrong and then was sandwiched behind the Italian and Teutenburg who was stalling.

(*In 2008 she really blew her chance by trying to solo to victory from the final climb that was several kms from the line and was quickly caught and then ultimately cramped up in the sprint with Cooke).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Even Emma commented that women need a more selective course to counter their general lack of aggression.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Women's race was so boring that a bloke had to sneak in there to win it.
  • Tusher
    S-L-A-P

I mean, do we make jokes about some of the male riders being a little too much in touch with their feminine side?

Em, well, yes, there's Linus, who is so terribly pretty, and ..................I'll just get my coat.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    the (wo)mens podium

560-PIC224098233.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • hahaha get the cobra jokes now. Not even on a 4 day bender
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Cooke did her usual thing of being up there despite no form coming into the race. But for getting caught up by the two riders in front coming together resulting in the front 3 getting a gap she may well have got a medal.

Also, I have to say that I'm all in favour of getting as many nations as possible involved but did it really serve any purpose having the 2 Syrian girls there? Both were dropped in the first 5km with a very pedestrian pace being set at the front.

Finally, well done to Lucy Garner on winning the girls race. It looks like GB is getting a production line in place on the road for both men and women.
  • During the race Emma Trott mentioned she spoke to the british women before the race and they had tactics for the race.
    I could see Pooley on the front a few times trying to increase the pace but she faded badly at the end, not sure why as it was an easy race, same for others.
    Not sure what Cooke was doing but I thought Armistead would be protected rider (Trott said same) but Armistead was a bit too far back at the sprint and was on oposite side of bunch to Cooke? Why did Cooke and Armistead make sure that they were together and Cooke lead out the sprint?Looks to me like they were riding their own race. As much as I like Cooke as a rider, not sure she will ever ride as a team member.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    During the race Emma Trott mentioned she spoke to the british women before the race and they had tactics for the race.
    I could see Pooley on the front a few times trying to increase the pace but she faded badly at the end, not sure why as it was an easy race, same for others.
    Not sure what Cooke was doing but I thought Armistead would be protected rider (Trott said same) but Armistead was a bit too far back at the sprint and was on oposite side of bunch to Cooke? Why did Cooke and Armistead make sure that they were together and Cooke lead out the sprint?Looks to me like they were riding their own race. As much as I like Cooke as a rider, not sure she will ever ride as a team member.

Cooke was supposed to lead Lizzy out, but Lizzy got caught up in a crash and lost her position, so Cooke went for the win at the end.