Advice for a road/commuting beginner!?

Cliveyp
Cliveyp Posts: 173
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
Hey guys, apologies for my first post being this stupid, but I'm hoping you guys can fill me with the advice I need!

I've recently got into cycling through deciding I really needed to do some exercise.....many years of cake-abuse had caught up with me in my early thirties! I dug out my old MTB, stuck some hybrid tyres on and hit the roads. I try to get out 2-3 times a week and am currently covering approx 12 miles a trip. I know this isn't a great deal, but considering the lack of effort I had put into everything in the past, it was quite an achievement! I've recently started a new job approx 18 miles from home and am looking to cycle this every now and again so am seriously considering a new bike.

I'm currently averaging around 12.5mph over my 12 mile rides, and would really love to improve on this on the commuting part so it doesn't take me forever, so am seriously considering a road bike rather than a hybrid or commuter, but is this right? I'd be looking at solely Tarmac roads and cycle paths to use it on as I have the MTB should I wish to get back on the towpaths and trails, but I do have to admit the roads are hardly marble smooth round here!

As for budget, I'd probably not really want to spend any more than about £650-700 at most, and would be looking toward my LBS offering their 0% deals. Any advice?

Cheers
Clive
2015 Ridley Fenix 105
2012 Cube Ltd SL
2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
2001 Giant Boulder - Sold

Comments

• I started like you on a MTB and quickly moved to a road bike which I found much better. You needn't spend too much if you don't want to - my first road bike was a Carrera Virtuoso that I picked up in Halfords for only £220. That was fine until I caught the bug and was forced to buy something a little better. £700 will certainly get you something decent and there's loads of sales on at the moment.

At first I wouldn't say you're going to cut off a massive amount of time just by going to a road bike but you might manage a couple of MPH faster on average. The more you ride the faster you'll get so it all depends on how much effort you put in.

The other thing you might consider is getting an electric bike - I see loads of these going to work and they might eat up the distance a bit faster while still getting you some exercise - you might find you get out more often too since it wont be so much effort. Having said that I take more satisfaction from getting there under my own steam.
  • Cliveyp
    Thanks for your reply. I have to admit, I hadnt really considered going for something considerably cheaper from somewhere like halfords. Maybe it's snobbery, I'm not sure, but possibly worth considering! I was thinking that budget being something where I could get a decent spec and carbon forks to try and take up some of the slack from loosing the front suspension of the MTB. I like to think that I'm buying to last too rather than looking to upgrade almost straight away.....

As for an electric bike, although the theory is nice, I'm using this as good exercise that I enjoy so under my own steam is the only way!
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • Hi there, I commute daily and race/sportive, probably do around 250miles a week between commute and training. I would highly recommend the Cube Cross SL, I have the Pro level but there is a cheaper Comp level. The frames are exactly the same on both. The Pro is nearly the same weight as my Giant Road bike. Its fast and the flatbars keep you upright for dodgeing traffic and stop the back from hurting. I would be wary of going to road bars, at your level. It has 700c wheels so road tyres fit easily. It is also easy to fit mudguards which in winter are a real necessity. Link below, also see the Cube website. Chain Reaction has the Comp level.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... rtno=41211
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 549
    edited September 2011
    I'm commuting on a Giant Defy 2 at the moment - I believe these can be had for around £500 now (RRP was £720). It has carbon forks and you can fit mudguards if required. Its plenty quick enough too.

or you could probably find the Defy 1 for near £700 and that has the Tiagra groupset which is a step up.

Or there's plenty of other stuff around - I'd recommend arranging a few test rides at your LBS to see what suits you best.
  • I would be wary of going to road bars, at your level.

Couldn't disagree more. If you're going to be covering decent distances teh bars on a road bike are much more forgiving - more hand positions etc. There is nothing "difficult" about bars on a road bike
  • Another person who has seen the light!! Welcome.

As mentioned above £700 will get you a very decent commuting/general use bike with a good enough spec to make sure it spends more time on the road than in a workshop. In terms of a bike to speed up your journey it's up to you. Road bikes are very good as they're fast and light, however, I wouldn't discount getting a flat barred road bike (hybrid in essence) as there are a number of good ones out there. I've never really got on with the shifting on drop handlebars so got a much maligned boardman (hybrid team) which is much faster than the basic hybrid I had (7 mph more on the top end). Even with disc brakes and probably 2kgs + on some road bikes I find they're drafting me, and not the other way around - but then I am a speed demon :)

In terms of improving your fitness and general times the more you get used to the course of your 12 mile route and commute the more you'll get used to effecient gearing, and more importantly your limits. This will help you as the next time you can push yourself that bit more, and hopefully before you know it your times will be tumbling. I personally find a bike computer is good to give basic readouts so you can compare rides.

Tbh, just enjoy yourself and go at a pace that suits you, but one that also feels like you're getting a good workout.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Maybe have a look at Carrera Vanquish - ticks your boxes and you'll have some change for some nice kit too (also don't forget good lights - nights drawing in etc).
    Speaking from experience and maybe I was fairly lucky but my second-hand Carrera has been brilliant this last six months or so while I've gradually built up to longer and longer rides. Not the greatest looker but no nonsense and now quite well tweaked to my needs.
    Of course the more you love the bike, the more time you'll want to spend on it, so if you like owning a nice object rather than a mere "tool" so to speak, then spend as much of your budget as you can.

Finally, if at all possible, keep the MTB for commuting when the snow comes - you won't regret it. There are things that are more fun, but not many.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Cliveyp
    Thanks all. Taking it all as good advice just now, and it's giving me many options to bring up when chatting to the LBS.

Ref the bike computer, I have been using Runkeeper since getting back in to things. I find it gives me a good comparative result if not entirely accurate. Saying that, my old cycle computer probably wasnt that accurate either!
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • Maybe have a look at Carrera Vanquish - ticks your boxes and you'll have some change for some nice kit too (also don't forget good lights - nights drawing in etc).
    Speaking from experience and maybe I was fairly lucky but my second-hand Carrera has been brilliant this last six months or so while I've gradually built up to longer and longer rides. Not the greatest looker but no nonsense and now quite well tweaked to my needs.
    Of course the more you love the bike, the more time you'll want to spend on it, so if you like owning a nice object rather than a mere "tool" so to speak, then spend as much of your budget as you can.

Finally, if at all possible, keep the MTB for commuting when the snow comes - you won't regret it. There are things that are more fun, but not many.

I might use this line on my girlfriend the next time it snows :)

@Cliveyp - If you're looking for a good bike computer at non Garmin prices then you can't go wrong with a wireless Cateye Strada. Small and accurate with an intuitive click system to switch between screens. The only downside is it doesn't have a backlight.

Good luck.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • You could get a decent second hand bike for £4-500 and then spend the rest on cycling kit (lights, new pump, repair kit, clothes). The type of bike you should get really depends on your commute.

When I was in London my rockhopper with slicks was fine (26 mile round trip commute) becuase it was very light, agile, well built so able to handle jumping off kerbs, riding through potholes etc and the sit up postion was great for riding in traffic. But I'm now commuting in the cotswolds (45 miles round trip commute and its awesome) and after maybe 500 miles I've switched to a 2010 Trek 1.5 (£400 second hand). Best thing I ever did - my normal commute time now matches my PB on the rockhopper and it's just more fun.

I've spent £8 on a new top from Lidl (to replace the flappy jacket I used to wear), £16 on a trip computer, £10 on drink bottle and stash bottle, £16 on a mini pump that will fit the road bikes schneider valves, £70 on new front lights, batteries and charger (see the bike light discussions - I've got some monster Xm-l hand torches adapted for use on bike handle bars), £5 on some reflective tape. I will get a new rear light, some road shoes and spds of some sort, spoke reflectors and a track pump soon but saving the money at the moment.

If I wehere you I'd just do the commute with your MTB and slicks, see how it goes and go for the road bike if your route will allow, otherwise splash out on second hand boardman hybrid .. and get some kit.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Vally7
    Vally7 Posts: 120
    I bought a 2010 Vanquish and have been really pleased with it. It is discounted to about 440 at the moment and has a carbon fork and decent components which is great for the money. I also find it really comfortable for longer rides having recently done a 100 miler without any issues.

Highly recommended and will save cash to buy some decent quality bits
  • I'd have to second the advice on saving a bit for extras. For example I've found proper cycling shoes with SPD pedals be be a massive improvement. Obviously lights are going to be important too. A CO2 tyre inflator is handy also.
  • Cliveyp
    Cheers guys.

Ahead of dropping into my local shop tomorrow, i've had a bit of email traffic with them today. They've made a couple of recommendations, and i've got my own views, but essentially without trying them, i'm thinking of something like either:

2012 Specialized Sirrus Elite - recommended by the LBS
    2012 Specialized Allez 24 - picked by me...

This is only two of the options, but i've concentrated on those two being specifics of each range....which would you guys select and why??
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • I'd have the Allez over the Sirrus (because is a proper road bike - with drops).

On the other hand the Allez doesn't have fittings for mudguards AFAIK to that may (or may not) be an issue. Also I'd probably go for a compact double chainset rather than the tripple the Allez 24 has.

Ultimately only you can decide though - just go for what you like best.