Bianchi Nirone 7.... and some advice?

ready2burn
ready2burn Posts: 27
edited September 2011 in Your road bikes
img0101aw.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My first ever road bike... have had it for 2 weeks and have been playing around with the setup a bit to find what's comfortable... this seems to be doing the job! Is there anything worth doing to improve the riding position, I'm planning on training to eventually get into some cat 4 races so would like advice on setup for speed... (to the possible detriment to comfort!)

Oh.. and I'm well aware about the pedal issue.... don't worry... thats next on the list of purchases!

Comments

• Just realised how pathetic this looks so close to that Scott Foil!!! Its like Angela Merkel sitting next to Kiera Knightly on a park bench! (Probably a similar weight difference as well!)
  • BoydD
    BoydD Posts: 68
    ready2burn don't be too hard on your bike. I think it's very classy looking in Black and White. Besides a quite successful Texan once reminded us it's not always about the bike.
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Cannondale Super Six 105
    Spesh Rockhopper
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Definitely doesn't look pathetic mate! Bianchi's always look good.

Invest in some pedals and decent shoes and you'll be flying.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Don't slate it, it's a solid bike and looks far better than most other entry level models.

Anyway, positioning. Well you really really, seriously don't want to sacrifice comfort. You will lose speed as soon as you're uncomfortable.

However there is an optimum. Comfort and most aggressive position you can hold. This is a matter of trial and error. Small increments, accurate measuring, willingness to experiment, attention to detail and crucially a realistic outlook (any fit related pain is bad even if it's 'bearable' don't accept it! Keep fettling).

So thing's like tiny variation in saddle tilt, saddle setback, spacers under the stem/bar height, saddle height and positioning of the shifters/bar angle. Remember, small increments, no big changes. Give everything a try.
  • ready2burn wrote:
    Just realised how pathetic this looks so close to that Scott Foil!!! Its like Angela Merkel sitting next to Kiera Knightly on a park bench! (Probably a similar weight difference as well!)

Well thanks for the compliment I suppose for my Foil ;)

Like others have said, don't be too hard on yourself, your Bianchi is still a cracking bike :)

I love the look of Bianchi's actually, I was considering one before I decided on the Scott!
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Looks like there's nothing particularly wrong with your set up.
    At least the stems not flipped, you don't have a ton of spacers underneath the stem and the saddle is more or less in the middle and level.
    Can't make a proper judgement without seeing you on the bike.
    As has already been mentioned, if you do change something make it a small change and then asses after riding.
    Nice bike BTW I had one when I first got back into road riding.

(I'd probably lose the reflectors though!)
  • Dont knock your bike, I think it is better looking than alot of higher end ones, including some of Bianchi's offerings!
  • Thanks Guys! :D All i have to do now is develop some muscle to power the thing!
  • It might just be the reflectors that make it look a bit "weird" in comparison.....I don't think the Foil has any fitted. :D
  • Roadtart wrote:
    It might just be the reflectors that make it look a bit "weird" in comparison.....I don't think the Foil has any fitted. :D

Im beginning to get the immersion that reflectors are not the 'done thing' on road bikes. This being said i have taken mine off....

Now whats etiquette on furry animals as mascots on the handle bars! ;)
  • 'immersion' oh dear i hate predictive text.... impression*
  • I've had more than a few squirrels risk its continuing existence trying to cross my path (two have actually hit the wheels / frame), so I guess that counts?

If you mean like some golfers have on their precious clubs.......I doubt it.

Clarification somebody? What's the deal with roadkill by bike? Trophy or not? Property of the Realm, or the next person passing?

Oh, and your Bianchi IS cool (as I didn't say it before).
  • Roadtart wrote:
    I've had more than a few squirrels risk its continuing existence trying to cross my path (two have actually hit the wheels / frame), so I guess that counts?

If you mean like some golfers have on their precious clubs.......I doubt it.

Clarification somebody? What's the deal with roadkill by bike? Trophy or not? Property of the Realm, or the next person passing?

Oh, and your Bianchi IS cool (as I didn't say it before).

Depends whether you want to put said badger/squirrel/deer in you back pocket or spare drink holder!
  • I like it,
    I think I'd like a bianchi for my next bike. If I were you I'd get some celeste bar tape on ity to scream BIANCHI! But think it looks great as it is!