160mm Fork advise needed

1mancity2
1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Gonna look at changing my fork soon,

What 160mm fork with 20mm axle and 1 1/8 steerer can you recommend? I don't want "u turn" or "stepped" just a plain 160mm which is built for abuse.

I've always had RS so had no experience of Fox.

Cheers
Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Can you convert to 15mm thru axle ? if so these only 150mm though
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=49880
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.DT-Swiss-EXM-15 ... _35181.htm

Otherwise its RS or Fox.....having run both and recently switching to DT, I would highly recomend DT forks....long service intervals and fantastic performance
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Any of the 4 obvious ones will work well... Coil lyrik, solo air lyrik, float or van. Vans have really poor service intervals IIRC but they're great forks. Lyriks are easier to find cheap in good nick or new, and to me are just as good but easier to set up but Vans have their fans. Both brilliant really. I love the mission control damper, so easy to work with, and even better with the lockout removed.

Floats are lighter than an air lyrik and fairly equivalent in performance... The air springs are surprisingly good these days.

They're all strong but (2-step aside) Rockshox have the better rep for withstanding abuse. OTOH I find Fox a bit fiddlier to set up so maybe I've just never got the best out of them?

Domains come in 160mm but definately don't go with 302- the damping's adequate for a 100mm fork, no use for a 160mm fork that's earning its keep. The 318 is OK, but still not that well controlled, and heavy. Used Lyrik over new Domain, IMO.

There's always BOS, the Deville doesn't really have fans, it has fanatics ;) Or Marzocchi 55? Haven't used the new ones. 66s can be 160mm but too heavy IMO.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 1mancity2
    Atm I have Revs Race 140mm, the Lyrik is what I have been looking at and as you say the motion control is fantastic, Out of them which 1 stands out over the other Coil, Air?

I never lock my forks out so removing the lock out sounds like a good idea!!

Do they do a version with no U turn or step down?
  • Work out what you want and what your priorities are.
    If cost and low servicing intervals come high on the list then Lyriks are a good bet, especially when looking on the 'for sale' pages/classifieds.

If you ride hard and/or race (enduros), then support and damping might be your priority. BOS are awesome for support and control right through the stroke but nothing feels as smooth as >2011 Marzocchi's, especially in terms of initial stiction.

If you want something light for general trail riding etc then prob stick to an air fork, in particular a Fox 36. But providing you don't mind the servicing...

If you want a balance across all of the above then I'd recommend the fork I use (fancy that eh!) which is the Fox 36 Float RC2 - best of all worlds but then I like the RC2 controls.
  • Budget?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 1mancity2
    Budget?

Around the £500 mark.

Fit and forget is what im after, I never lock out, never twiddle with my knobs once sorted. :lol:
  • Fox Van 36 rc's for my vote. Ive just had mine serviced @ tf and they have come back buttery smooth. The basic service on 36's you can do your self as they are easy to do.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Out of them which 1 stands out over the other Coil, Air?

I never lock my forks out so removing the lock out sounds like a good idea!!

Do they do a version with no U turn or step down?

Aye, both. I reckon the air Lyrik is the coiliest air fork I've ever used, but I wanted height adjustment that works effectively at all settings so that leaves no competition, u-turn Lyrik is the only 160mm fork that does that.

You won't go wrong with any of the 4 big hitters tbh, just a case of trying to figure out what's best for you. Though, if you find yourself looking at weight as a number one consideration, might be time to look at a 150mm Rev or Float instead.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I had a RS Revalation and changed for the FOX 36 VAN RC2 and it transformed the bike. I love the FOX's and having a coil stops me playing with air chambers like I did on the revs.
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    marz 55's or lyriks
  • Fox van rc2 with kashima coating - most reliable (IMO), plus new plushness
    BOS deville - infinitely tunable - a fettlers wetdream - superb control when hammering.
    Marzzochi 66? Can't remember which one is their 160 - plushest (superb small bump sensitivety and traction) if a tad heavier than the others, reliability meant to be much better too.
    RS lyrik - good control but otherwise not as plush as the zone nor as tuneable as the bos - not sure how it measures with the fox but prices are all astronomical now - oddly the bos is the cheapest at the moment I believe....

Any of these will serve you admirably no doubt.