south downs way.

shouldgetoutmore
shouldgetoutmore Posts: 66
edited September 2011 in Routes
Hi all.
looking to ride the south downs route in may next year. one stop at somewhere like steyning, as its half way, is the plan. Can anyone help with a cyclist friendly B&B or the like and any other advice.

Cheers
Canyon Strive 8.0 AL. 20013
Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 09
Gary Fisher X caliber 00

Comments

• A group of us were on the SDW a couple of weekends ago. We camped halfway ( 55miles ) @ Washington. However, we did have a support vehicle to carry all the gear.
    Very nice site, easy going and clean.

Advice - Do not underestimate this ride, it is tough ! Take plenty of energy snacks and eat them regularly, don't wait until you run out of energy. Take some good all weather gear, when up on those hills there is no protection. We got hit by some ridiculous weather, it was like being in a wind tunnel with people throwing buckets of water at you. Needless to say, I was not prepared and was soaked through. Then the rain stopped but because i was soaked the wind blowing on my wet clothes was freezing. ( not pleasant )
    There are plenty of water refill stops ( marked on the map ). Also, people leave fruit outside their houses for you to take for free.
    When wet the smooth chalk downhills are like ice, be careful !
    Other than the above the best advive would be to enjoy it and take it all in, enjoy the views they are stunning !

I was not fully prepared for the ride and I have excuses but the bottom line is I only managed 80 miles which is pretty good for hardly any training but not good enough. Therefore, I am now in proper training and will be doing it again in May with the votwo crowd.

Good luck, you will love it !

darren.
  • For anyone contemplating the SDW either in its entirety of parts of, I would recommend the below site for a visit. This guy lives local to the downs and has ridden it a fair few times. It contains detailed photos, info and lots on B&Bs along the way.

http://www.bikedowns.co.uk
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Not stayed there, but Truleigh Hill Youth Hostel is right on the SDW just past Steyning (top of the hill).

If you can get there from Winchester on Day One then you shoud be fine for Day Two at it is at 64 miles, with a 'harder' but much shorter second day to follow.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Damn... seems like the 80 miler from Beachy Head to Winchester this weekend may be harder than i first thought hahahaaha
  • thanks for the input guys. Good tip about the youth hostel.

Cheers.
    Canyon Strive 8.0 AL. 20013
    Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 09
    Gary Fisher X caliber 00