The worst thing about fighting twenty eight year olds...

montevideoguy
montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
edited September 2011 in The Crudcatcher
...there are twenty of them.

The media has found a new story to get worked up into a funk about.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/2 ... ht-preston

What is the crud consensus?
Formally known as Coatbridgeguy

Comments

• DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    who gives an F,
    leave them to it.
    Peter
  • Hate Kids
    Hate Preston
    'Nuff said
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    well they let them box so why not!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    well they let them box so why not!

& kick box & karate & judo & wrestle etc. They can do all these separately but as soon as they're combined into one sport people get upset! Get over it! :roll:

I also hate children!
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • I think the concern is partly down to the fact they have a crowd egging them on. It's the only element I can see that could be seen as being a bit iffy.
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Personally view it that it should be more gladitorial based i.e. a MMA 8yr old champion versus some little sh*ts off the street, with an exception.

Death is allowed.
  • They play rugby at 8 years old too..

Ah, the nanny state knee jerks again...
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    Load of nonsense.

It clearly states in the report that they are not allowed to punch or kick, so it's just grappling. My son was doing this (although admittedly not in front of a crowd) at 5 yrs old.

Nothing to see here...
  • A kid throws punches in school, and it's normal. Kids fight, only difference is now they are in a cage (like my wife). Nothing wrong with it, just boys being boys in a controlled environment.
  • builds character. they should do this everywhere
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    I agree with some of the above and disagree also....I am an ex kick boxer and also have a licence to teach children.

The thing is in most martial arts it is about disapline and respect......the WAKO orgainisation has strict guidelines regarding teaching and tornaments. Yes children can enter tournaments however they are controlled and depending on the age of the child is eith points, light contact, semi contact...older juniors (16+) can also do full contact. You have to wear gloves, shin and foot pads and head guards.

It is a professional organisation, run with respect...I know these kids were not allowed to punch and kick so damage is kept to a minimum, what I don't like is the fact they are confined like animals, there is a mainly male drunken crowd baiting them and also a dolly bird with the round numbers....it all looks rather seedy and a sad excuse for entertainment.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    builds character. they should do this everywhere
    What on earth could be possibly character building about parading kids in cages to fight in front of a load of drunken knuckle draggers?

Depends what sort of "character" they are trying to build I suppose.

I am not opposed to teaching children martial arts - there is a lot to be said for the benefit. However, I expect it to take place in a calm, respectful, and disciplined environment.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's a primary school down the road, which appears to have a Mad Max style "thunderdrome" in the yard, made out of sharpened spiked fence posts and bricks.
    I can only assume it's where they send children who are engaged in an argument, to decide on who is ultimately correct.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    It was only when just listening to the parents and the child who was involved that i suddenly remembered i did Judo from the age of 4 til 18! i never considered it to being barbaraic or anything and watching the video its pretty simular to some early bouts :lol:
    but that said like Pudseyp said, putting a cage round it and some round girls does drag it down some what.
    Martial arts taught me right and wrong, far more than any school or parent could, and i think in this country the teachings are being watered down to thugary somewhat?

Oh well the strong will survive and the rest will be rich geeks :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty