Salisbury/Amesbury off road?

SpecializedRob
SpecializedRob Posts: 6
edited June 2012 in MTB rides
Hi,
Is anyone cycling near Salisbury/Amesbury in the evenings and up for some extra company? I’m up for most routes/speeds but don’t know the area yet. Off-road/XC is my preference but anything nearby to break the monotony of just cycling to and from work would be great.

Comments

• joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    take a look at the SPAM biking group, they are based near you so may be ideal for local XC rides...
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    Hi Rob.

A group of us ride Salisbury Plain every Tuesday night. We leave from a mates house in Longfield Close, Durrington a 7pm sharp.

Routes vary from Grovely woods, to Collingbourne woods, but mostly ride around the Tidworth side of the plain as that's the best mix of XC & fun riding.
  • Hi Gwaredd,
    That sounds good to me. I’ve got my mother in law visiting next week. Much as I’d rather be biking I’ll be doing my duty at home.
    It its ok with you and the group I’ll show up the following week and tag along. I assume I’ll spot people on bikes in Longfield Close without any bother?

Cheers

Rob
  • Joec1: thanks for the suggestion of SPAM biking. I can see they don’t meet regularly (as far as non-members know) and there’s a £20 annual fee to even look at their forums so I’ll hold off for now as I don’t want to pay £20 to find there’s nothing of interest on the private forum particularly when I suspect the same people frequent this one.

The response and suggestion is appreciated though.
  • Gwaredd wrote:
    Hi Rob.

A group of us ride Salisbury Plain every Tuesday night. We leave from a mates house in Longfield Close, Durrington a 7pm sharp.

Routes vary from Grovely woods, to Collingbourne woods, but mostly ride around the Tidworth side of the plain as that's the best mix of XC & fun riding.

Hi guys, I live in Amesbury and ride XC, Gwaredd is your weekly group ride still going at the moment?
    If so would I be able to come along?

Cheers
    Griffo
  • A bunch of us mountain bike on Sunday afternoons from Amesbury, usually across Salisbury Plain. If anyone is at the Bowman Centre at 2pm on Sundays we'll pick you up.

Pete
  • May have to join you guys soon, once im all done with this uni stuff in London :)
    Cotic BFE MK II
  • GriffoXC
    GriffoXC Posts: 13
    Haven't been on the forum for a while.

If I'm free either this Sunday or next I'm up for a ride! I live just round the corner from the Bowman centre.
  • notax
    notax Posts: 138
    A group of us ride every Wednesday evening throughout the year starting at the Augustus John pub just outside Fordingbridge - so only about a 20 minute drive from Salisbury. I guide the ride and we use various routes in the New Forest - group is reasonably speedy and the rides are as technical as I can make them with some decent singletrack 8)

Meet at 7pm and ride until about 9.30, followed by optional food or beer in the pub. There is also a road biking group that meets at the same time and place.

You're welcome to join us, there most weeks but please PM me if you'd like more info or to check we'll be there...