Specialized Tarmac Comp 2010

garysan
garysan Posts: 63
edited September 2011 in Your road bikes
This is my first road bike and thought I'd post a pic now I've changed the wheels and it's not 'stock' any more :)

tarmac_comp.jpg

Comments

• Very nice, definitely has that bling factor and very well colour matched. I like the look of the Tarmac (just wish they would run the rear brake cable internally). I know it's your first road bike but, why do you have the handle bars so high?

Are those 25c tires? :shock:

Also specs, taken from Evans
    Frame:Specialized Tarmac SL FACT 10r carbon, FACT IS construction, compact race design, 1.5" lower HS bearing
    Fork:Tarmac full FACT carbon monocoque, OS race for 1.5 inch bearing
    Front Derailleur:Shimano 105
    Rear Derailleur:Shimano 105
    Shifters:Shimano 105 STI, flight deck compatible
    Chainset:Shimano 105
    Chainrings:53/39 tooth chainrings
    Bottom Bracket:With Crankset
    Cassette:Shimano 105 10-speed, 12-27 tooth range
    Chain:Shimano 105
    Pedals:Silver cage/black body, with black toe clips and strap
    Front Brake:Shimano 105Rear Brake:Shimano 105
    Brake Levers:Shimano 105 STI, flight deck compatible
    Handlebars:Specialized Pro Ergo 2014 alloy
    Stem:Specialized Comp-Set, 3D forged alloy, 4-position adjustable, 4-bolt 31.8mm clamp
    Headset:Aheadset Stainless Race Steel Balls with top cap with 20mm of spacers
    Grips:Specialized S-Wrap, cork ribbon with 2.5 gel pads
    Saddle:Body Geometry Toupe with hollow Cr-Mo rails
    Seatpost:Specialized FACT carbon with Zertz insert, 27.2mmSeat Binder:Forged alloy, 32.6mm
    Accessories:Carbon chain stay protector, derailleur hanger, clear coat, owners manual
    Weight:Weight for 56cm version 18lb 3oz / 8.26kg
  • I had a bike fit at Spec. Birmingham and they flipped the stem as the guy thought I looked too hunched over when riding. I was tempted to go for a shorter 80mm stem - something like the 3T ARX - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55186 but not sure if that would make things worse... Opinions? Does anyone know what the degree is on the stock, Spec stem?

The tyres are 23c Conti 4000S but yes, they do look a lot like 25c. I have some Vittoria 25c Open Corsa on my original wheels and they don't look hardly any bigger at all.
  • Go on flip that stem; you know you want to. It'll definitely make you feel good and also make the bike look even better. It might even make you go faster.
  • I don't know, it is very hard to judge from a photo. But I would say it is quite high (maybe 8 degrees) and the head tube is quite angled too. It just does look very high in relation to the seat (there isn't much drop between the two). A shorter stem will bring your elbows in (closer to your hips), but not really change the angle of your torso.

How is your flexibility, do you do any stretching? It really is a delicate balance between getting your torso out of the wind, while not over stretching your glutes (your backside, where much of the power comes from).

If you have been riding a few years you may want to think another bike fit as your body does change, for example the setup on a pro's bike would give most newbs pain within a short ride.
  • I have quite a long spine in relation to my leg length - not weirdly-looking so or anything but it is there. I only had the bike fit a few months ago, perhaps April and it was then that the stem got flipped by the guy.

I agree with you guys that it looks a little odd but it is more comfortable than before it was changed. Using the drops was quite uncomfortable before but fine now :)