Langdale recci

Phil_D
Phil_D Posts: 467
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
A couple of us are, weather permitting, heading to Langdale on Saturday for a ride. We know the area quite well but have never cycled there so gradients on roads is a bit of a worry. We are planning on a 60 mile round trip and rather than just use one of the google based sites to plot a route and hope for the best, does anyone have any good routes around that area that they can let us use?

Cheers.

Edit: of course we are aware there are big hills, but we want to avoid anything above about 25-30% and having to push up the hills.

Comments

• DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    If your going into Langdale esp if doing a circuit you will undoubtedly include the road to Dungeon Ghill, then continue the loop past the tarn to the bottom of Wrynose pass where you would turn left back towards Skelwith Bridge (don't turn right and do Wrynose whatever you do if avoiding steep steeps).

If you do this be aware that the road passes the DG pub at the end of the Langdale road then after a few hundred yards hits the hill to the tarn above.
    Whilst not a long hill it is SERIOUSLY steep. the switchbacks are one in three in places (33%). You will need to avoid this.

You could do it the other way round as the climb, whilst steep is less severe and then you ride down to the DG pub instead.

Some maps don't show this hill with chevrons.
    Peter
  • Phil

FYI I think the DG pub is right near to where we are staying!

We can do a walking recci the night before after a few scoops, take your torch.

Should be good.
  • DF33
    If your camping the camp site is at the bottom of said hill near the pub. I rode it a few weeks ago and had a few smiles from car drivers coming down it whilst pumping up it. It isn't long so why not have a laugh and give it a go?

Warm up first though by doing a couple of miles down the road from the pub and back again before doing it otherwise your lungs will be all over the tarmac by the 3rd switchback :D
    Peter
  • DF33 wrote:
    If your camping the camp site is at the bottom of said hill near the pub. I rode it a few weeks ago and had a few smiles from car drivers coming down it whilst pumping up it. It isn't long so why not have a laugh and give it a go?

Warm up first though by doing a couple of miles down the road from the pub and back again before doing it otherwise your lungs will be all over the tarmac by the 3rd switchback :D

:lol: I like the idea of that.
  • DF33
    Just keep pedalling!

Don't do what a friend of mine did on it recently, She ran out of cadence half way up on a bend, couldn't unclip in time and fell over sideways. Then she lay on the road, still clipped in, laughing.
    Peter
  • Phil_D
    DF33 wrote:
    Just keep pedalling!

Don't do what a friend of mine did on it recently, She ran out of cadence half way up on a bend, couldn't unclip in time and fell over sideways. Then she lay on the road, still clipped in, laughing.

I did something similar going up that steep bit out of Settle. I started zig zagging and then found myself going downhill instead of up. It got a bit tricky getting clipped in after that so I started pushing.

This is the route we have plotted:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/723034

Could you have a look at it, DF33, and let me know if there are any changes you would make, based on your experience?
  • DF33
    That looks a good route.

You have the classic circuit from Ambleside to patterdale, St Johns, around Thrlmere on the back road then added in the langdale loop to coniston and hawkshead hill.

There are a few steep bits but you'll get through them. Doing it clockwise you will feel the climb up to the Kirkstone pub from Patterdale. It is long enough to make you suffer in that direction and is close to your 25% limit but at the end of the day it is the Lakes and if you want a decent circuit somewhere you will get that anyway. You'll be fine on it. The pub at the top does a good hot teapot so keep thinking of that.
    Be careful on the decent immediately after the pub (the struggle) if wet. It is 33% at the top as you turn right from the Kirkstone Pass. DON'T let the bikes run away with you here, tight bends and cars to contend with, that aside a great decent into Ambleside.

I think you'll really enjoy it. And you can always have a pint of Bluebird bitter in Coniston at the Black Bull where it's brewed or The Sun round the corner. I had a couple :wink: there on Saturday night.

Cheers

Peter
    Peter
  • Phil_D
    Thanks Peter
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    Very similsr to a regular route of mine, only refinements I would make are shortly after turning on to B5286 at Clappersgate take the next minor road right (Bog Lane) up to Drunken Duck and hang right to join Hawkshead Hill, very quiet scenic route.

Also I leave the dreaded A66 just after Thekeld (just before Doddick) on the minor road to rejoin your route, it only misses about half a mile of the 66 and entails opening a farm gate... but for me worth it as that particular stretch of the 66 is no fun at all.... :evil:

Oh and as Peter says be very careful descending the Struggle for your first time.

Enjoy!

Steve
  • Yep, looks a good route-often do a very similiar one myself.

The only thing I would add is that there is a good cycle path on the north side of the A66 which avoids the minor route to the south, apart from that it looks good you might swear at a bit at Kirkstone at the end though....
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Very nice route - going up Kirkstone Pass is much better than going up The Struggle IMO :lol:
  • Phil_D
    random man wrote:
    Very nice route - going up Kirkstone Pass is much better than going up The Struggle IMO :lol:

That was my thought when deciding whether to do it clockwise or anti clockwise.

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps. I will make the necessary amendments.
  • random man wrote:

Going down The Struggle was a struggle :lol: , pissing it down with rain all day, brakes were like wet sand on metal... and I have no brake blocks left, don't know why I bothered using them, as when I pulled on the brakes the bike did not want to listen :shock: Had to use the brake adjuster three times over the weekend and still the levers pull right in.

Its a good excuse to buy a road/cross bike with disc brakes.

The second day was a challenge too, up some 30% climbs, nice! Wrynose Pass will be etched on my memory forever, the b*****d.

All good fun.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I wouldn't want to go down there in those conditions, even though I've got discs on my tourer - well done :)
  • DF33
    Welcome to the steep wet decent club!

Glad you enjoyed it. How did you find the ascent of kirkstone pass?
    Peter
  • DF33 wrote:
    Glad you enjoyed it. How did you find the ascent of kirkstone pass?

I never pushed, wanted to puke a few times (not a good idea straight after the pub!), but got up there with out any issues, only gripe was the weather (wet / poor visability).

Day 2 was more of a challenge, shorter ride (32m) but some steeper climbs inc Wrynose Pass :shock: . Still got up it.

My bike is a mess, no brakes blocks left, the forks are grey covered in brake dust, needs a big clean up. If I had CX bike it would have been my preffered weapon of choice for this time of year. Not sure if I can justify a road/mtb and cross bike!

FYI - I was riding on my first Road bike an Allez 16 (2010) with upgraded wheels and a compact chainset - as above brakes were hopeless - I am hoping some replacement 105s I bought will help.

I have the routes that PhilD created, and the were brilliant routes to follow, other than a slight off road error on day 2. If any one wants the details I can post here.
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    DF33 wrote:
    Day 2 was more of a challenge, shorter ride (32m) but some steeper climbs inc Wrynose Pass :shock: . Still got up it.

Which direction? If you were heading West, well done!
  • Solis wrote:
    DF33 wrote:

Which direction? If you were heading West, well done!

here...

http://www.brytonsport.com/mapTrackView?id=154764