Carrera Vengeance wheels and tyres

busterdan
busterdan Posts: 32
edited October 2019 in MTB buying advice
This will probably seem a really dim question.

My Vengeance Ultimate has the XCR rims... they are heavy but I don't use the bike much so I don't really mind, but I do want to replace the Kenda 2.1 tyres as I want to use the bike to do mostly road riding (commuting to work).

I have no idea if the XCR rims are a universal size so I wondered if a 26" 1.5 road tyre with a 1.5 tube will fit.... can you advise please?

I was thinking of a tyre with puncture protection so am looking at the SCHWALBE CITY JET... any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Don't know how helpful this is, but...
    I've got a vulcan, with the std wheels (think they're labelled DBM or something) and have 1.5" kendas on them with no problems at all.
    Only thing i noticed was that the edges of the rim were quite sharp, put a hole in one of my tubes on the first fitment. Should really give them a quick rub with fine emery next time I change the tyres - which'll be tonight as i'm taking it out for some muddy fun :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They will fit. I find 1.95 more comfortable though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cheers folks... appreciated... and will give the rims a smoothing over just in case
  • Agree with cooldad about the size and they do fit on the vengence as I did have a pair on mine. I have used them for the last 2 years, on different bikes, with no problems. A great tyre that seem to resist punctures well. :)
  • Hi all, further to my earlier question, I wondered how small I could safely go with a tyre on these XCR rims... does anyone know if a super skinny 1.0 tyre would fit ok? or would you still say no smaller than 1.5.

By the way I did get the 1.9 City Jets but just wondered if I could go smaller without changing the rims.

Thanks
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    1.0 may be pushing it.

Measure the inside width of the rim.

I've got 18mm rims on my CX bike, with 25mm (~1.0") slicks on, and they're fine.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thanks for the reply...

By the way any issues with running such a thin tyre?... typically what pressures do you run?
  • cooldad
    Why would you want to run super skinny? Need to be harder, they are less comfortable. And contrary to popular belief, skinny does not equate with reduced rolling resistance. Aerodynamic efficiency yes, but unless you are going really, really fast...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • DodgeT
    The 1.5's I run are as fast as you would like and still give a tiny bit of cushioning.
  • Yes I remember seeing a thread about tyre size/rolling resistence a few months ago....

I know every tyre is different but pressures are most people running on say a 1.5 tyre? I'm also not the smallest of people (well 6ft tall and suffering from Xmas excess)

I'm just starting out so to speak... I work shifts and couldn't really use the bike/combined with the train I also need to catch but my times will be changing soon so I'll be able to commute by bike/train more often and save a small fortune in fuel as well as get a little bit fitter.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Height has no impact on tyre pressures, so saying you're 6ft doesn't mean anything :wink:

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DodgeT
    /\ /\ thats actually pretty accurate for what I run the 1.5s at...
  • cooldad
    bails87 wrote:
    Height has no impact on tyre pressures, so saying you're 6ft doesn't mean anything :wink:

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

But he did include his weight
    busterdan wrote:
    (well 6ft tall and a fat bastard)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I've not weighed myself but I reckon I am between about 90 and 100kgs :oops:
  • Hi again...

Well I ended up getting some basic 1.0 tyres (didn't want to pay much in case they didn't fit).... so 2 Bronx tyres, 2 Kenda tubes and £16 later I tried them on my bike.... and they didn't fit the XCR rims...

However not all was lost as I simply took the rims of my girlfriends Kracken (she doesn't use it much)... I believe they are DDM-1 rims? Anyway they are very light, look great on my bike and the 1.0 size tyres are fine... (pic below).

It was almost a straight swap although I had to swap over the front discs as the Vengeance on is 180mm. I haven't bothered changing the rear sprocket cassette (don't even know how to!). I'm not sure if this could be a problem though or should the chainset ideally all match?

My bike pic
  • Hi. I have a carrera vengeance 2019. Anyone know of a good gear upgrade. I can't fault the bike other than its gears.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    edited September 2019
    So what's wrong with the gears you have they cover a wide range, it's only a very cheap bike so it's not worth putting anything expensive on it.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • KevinDuke wrote:
    Hi. I have a carrera vengeance 2019. Anyone know of a good gear upgrade. I can't fault the bike other than its gears.

What are you not happy with? The gears are quite entry level but should still work ok if set up properly.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • I don't do smileys.

• brother i replaced my tire with Kenda 2.1 treys. Use it highly recommended.