Windows pc issues

da goose
da goose Posts: 284
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
I stupidly tried to remove pctools from the registry as it was a mare to remove any other way performance has suffered now and small pop up pctools boxes appear, is the best fix removal of everything on the pc and re load original discs etc? :cry:

Comments

• NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    No need for a clean install.

Try this thread:

http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread ... s-problems
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • And get yourself CCleaner - free download.

Cleans the registry, and also has a better uninstall engine than the windows program
  • Have you tried System Restore?

Could you possibly reinstall pctools to repair and then remove it again using something like Revo Uninstaller?

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

It might also be worth checking the pctools support forums/faq for advice on uninstalling. My laptop came with McAfee pre-installed and that was a pain to remove even with Revo - had to scour the forums for a solution.
  • Thanks for the response, yes it was pre installed thus its a `mare trying to remove, I finally managed the removal but thats hen somehow its mucked up the registry or made these pop up things.
    I will give the cleaner a try prior to full re install etc.... :?
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Why do some manufacturers insist on stuffing your hard drive full of shareware crap that you neither ask for nor want :?: My dad's laptop was a classic example, McAfee all over it - took a while to strip that out.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Why do some manufacturers insist on stuffing your hard drive full of shareware crap that you neither ask for nor want :?: My dad's laptop was a classic example, McAfee all over it - took a while to strip that out.

Gulp!!! Just installed Mcafee and my Pc and Laptop are getting slower and slower and slower and slower, can't open my email inbox and sites with Java applets won't load. Think I prefer to have a virus instead. Can't wait until I have the money saved for my iMac
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Like CrackFox said have any of you tried System Restore ?

markos 1963 did you do a restore point before loading McAfee?

Please do not think I am an expert as I had similar problems as all of you but my daughter sorted me out using a restore point prior to my alteration.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    plowmar wrote:
    Like CrackFox said have any of you tried System Restore ?

markos 1963 did you do a restore point before loading McAfee?

Please do not think I am an expert as I had similar problems as all of you but my daughter sorted me out using a restore point prior to my alteration.

Errrr no, not unless the installation program set one(some do I believe)
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Suggest you look under help program or search facility to find the restore program, and you will find a restore point if not on the same date you loaded mcafee then close too.

All you need to do is chose which point you want and leave it to the PC to take you back in time.

Good Luck.
  • What spec is your machine?

McAfee is a resource hog at the best of times.

It will also do a full deep scan when it's first installed, which will hammer the performance. If it's doing that you're best off leaving the thing alone, and killing any other processes running - inc the screensaver - otherwise McAfee will register a change in the HDD and go back and scan from that point again.

Open the task manager and find out how many processes you're running. Sort them by Mem or CPU to find out what's chewing the resources. Ideally you'd have no more than 50 processes running at any one time.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    My humble experience of taking a PC back to our friendly IT goddess at work is "if it isn't broke then stop meddling" and "mess with the registry at your peril", oh and the old favourite "you mean you don't backup your data at all - you tit!".

PCs are generally only meant to function reliably for a year or so and then start to slowly go to pieces. It seems that anything you add to a computer (legitimate or otherwise) will ultimately speed its demise (unless you are adding RAM).

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Windows doesn't really like being tinkered with, even when you do know what you're doing.

Linux, on the other hand, that's a joy to faff around with - mainly because it's almost impossible to break it.

Not that I'm suggesting swapping to a free OS which doesn't need the computing power of NASA to start up, and can do such cutting edge stuff as accept a device (such as a scanner) without needing to enter into the endless loop that is installing a driver.

(no, seriously, I'm not - it's taken me 12mths to get my head round Linux, and I'm a closet geek)